Orange County SC Statement on USL Championship Temporary Suspension of Play
In light of recent announcements from Governor Newsom and the United Soccer League, and in coordination with the City of Irvine and Orange County health agencies, the decision has been made to suspend upcoming Orange County SC home games for at least the next thirty days. Our priority is the safety of our fans, players and staff so out of an abundance of caution we fully support these decisions which include matches originally scheduled for March 21, March 28 and April 4.
Fans with tickets to Orange County SC home games during the hiatus will receive vouchers good for any regular-season game and fans who purchased tickets to the March 21st Beerfest will be able to redeem those tickets for any future Beerfest events scheduled for July 25 and October 17.
We will continue to monitor this evolving situation closely to determine the next steps for future games and events. We appreciate the understanding and patience of our fans, guests, and partners during this unprecedented time.
We will release more information and an updated schedule as it becomes available. The impact of COVID-19 impacts all of us in Orange County and we are committed to doing our part for our community.
Quote from President of Business Operations, Jeff Garner:
"The health and safety of our fans, players and staff is our top priority so we fully support the decisions of California Governor Gavin Newsom and the USL Championship to suspend play for at least the next thirty days," said Jeff Garner, President of Business Operations. "We will continue to work with local, state and federal health professionals, as well as the USL Championship, to resume play once we can ensure a safe environment for everyone."
The United Soccer League announced today the decision to suspend the 2020 season for a minimum of 30 days.
"It was very clear from our owners that the health and safety of players, fans, and staff was their top priority," said USL CEO Alec Papadakis. "In consultation with local, state and national health authorities, as well as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Homeland Security, we have temporarily suspended match play for a minimum of 30 days."
When appropriate, the league will provide additional updates on the continuation of the 2020 Championship season and very much appreciates the continued support of USL Championship fans across the country.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 12, 2020
- Statement from San Antonio FC Managing Director Tim Holt - San Antonio FC
- Orange County SC Statement on USL Championship Temporary Suspension of Play - Orange County SC
- Updates to the 2020 FC Tulsa Season - FC Tulsa
- SD Loyal Postpones All Match Play for a Minimum of 30 Days Following USL Championship Decision to Suspend the 2020 Season - San Diego Loyal
- USL Suspends 2020 Season - Saint Louis FC
- United Soccer League Temporarily Suspends 2020 Season, Including New Mexico United Matches - New Mexico United
- Eastern Conference Preview: Part Three - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- USL Championship Temporarily Suspends Play - Indy Eleven
- USL Championship Temporarily Suspends Play - Memphis 901 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Issues Update - El Paso Locomotive FC
- USL Games Postponed for 30 Days - Loudoun United FC
- North Carolina FC Issues Statement on USL Decision to Temporarily Suspend Season - North Carolina FC
- Statement from the Rio Grande Valley FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- USL Championship Temporarily Suspends Play - Birmingham Legion FC
- Riverhounds SC Season Suspended for Minimum of 30 Days - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Club Statement Issued Regarding USL Championship Announcement - Phoenix Rising FC
- Upcoming Republic FC Matches Postponed - Sacramento Republic FC
- Usl Suspends Match Play for Minimum of 30 Days - OKC Energy FC
- USL Suspends Play 30 Days - Louisville City FC
- USL Announces Minimum 30-Day Suspension of Competition - Reno 1868 FC
- Miami FC's Home Opener Scheduled for Friday Is Suspended - Miami FC
- USL Championship Temporarily Suspends Play - USL
- Hartford Athletic Signs Conor McGlynn - Hartford Athletic
- Tickets Sales for Louisville City's April 7 Open Cup Match Suspended - Louisville City FC
- United Soccer League Teams Prioritize Recovery with NormaTec - USL
- Hartford Athletic Signs Connecticut Native Alfonso Vazquez - Hartford Athletic
- Sanchez: Response Has Been Extremely Positive - Louisville City FC
- Tacoma Defiance Drops 2-1 Decision to San Diego Loyal SC - Tacoma Defiance
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orange County SC Stories
- Orange County SC Featured in LA Weekly's Quarantine Care Package
- Third All-Time USL Goal Scorer Joins Orange County SC
- OCSC to Resume Play with 15 Matches, Including 7 at Home
- Orange County SC to Resume Play on ESPN2 July 16th
- USL Championship Announces Western Conference Groups