OKC RedHawks Game Notes
TONIGHT: The RedHawks send Tommy Hunter to the mound for his fifth start of 2010 in Game 2 of a 4-game series with the Tacoma Rainiers (Seattle Mariners). Hunter has been gradually increasing his pitch counts after being placed on the DL with a strained left oblique in spring training. He'll be opposed by righthander David Pauley. Tacoma won the series opener last night 7-3 on a 4-RBI night by Tommy Everidge. OKC is 3-2 through the first 5 games of a 12-game trip. The RedHawks lead the American South Division by 1 game over Albuquerque. Tacoma is a half-game behind Salt Lake in the Pacific North.
CAN'T HAVE ENOUGH PITCHING: The Rangers' organization is well represented among the PCL's ERA leaders. Five of the top 10 ERA qualifiers as of today either pitched for the RedHawks this year or were drafted and reared by Texas. Derek Holland, now in the Rangers' rotation, still leads the PCL with a 0.93 ERA. Iowa's Thomas Diamond, a Texas first-round pick in 2004, is fifth at 2.01. OKC's Michael Kirkman is 8th at 2.59. Nashville's Kameron Loe, a 2002 Texas selection and former Ranger/RedHawk, is ninth at 2.70, while 2008 trade acquisition Guillermo Moscoso, a RedHawk until May 14, is 10th at 2.95.
RAPADA FOR GEARY: Yesterday, the RedHawks activated lefty Clay Rapada from the DL and placed Geoff Geary (neck stiffness) on the DL retroactive to May 21.
BULLPEN WORKING OVERTIME: In the past 9 games, OKC's bullpen has logged 35.1 innings, allowing 3 earned runs (0.76 ERA) on 19 hits while earning 2 wins without a loss. The collective relief corps strung together a 24.2-inning scoreless streak, which was snapped on Saturday, during that span.
HOMERLESS STREAK BROKEN: OKC pitching went 9 full games and portions of 2 others without allowing a homer, tossing 86 consecutive innings without a gopher ball, until Tommy Everidge belted a 2-run shot to left field in last night's third inning against Michael Ballard. The RedHawks have allowed the fewest home runs in the league (22). Prior to last night, the previous homer by an opponent was May 13, when Chris Carter homered off Ballard at The Brick.
ERA LEADS PCL: OKC leads the PCL in team ERA at 3.30. Iowa has the second best ERA at 3.40. The RedHawks are tied with Portland for the fourth-fewest hits allowed and are second in strikeouts with 323. Sacramento's staff leads the league with 346 punchouts.
STROP'S STREAKS: OKC reliever Pedro Strop had a stretch of 24 consecutive retired batters snapped in his last outing on Sunday when Lance Zawadski drew a 2-out walk in the ninth inning. The streak began with the final out of a save May 8 in Iowa and continued through all or part of 5 outings. Dating to May 8, the only 3 batters to reach against Strop did so on walks. The last hit he allowed came on May 4 at Omaha on a 2-out single by Marc Maddox. Strop has pitched 9 consecutive hitless and scoreless innings spanning his last 5 appearances.
WELCOME TO THE EIGHT-HOLE: The eighth spot in the batting order has been a flexible position this season. Manager Bobby Jones has used 14 of the team's 20 position players in the eight-hole. Emerson Frostad, currently with Double-A Frisco, has the most starts (8) in the penultimate place in the order. Hernan Iribarren has the best record among 8-hole hitters, as OKC has won all 5 times he's batted eighth.
MISCELLANY: The RedHawks dropped to 5-7 in series openers last night...they are 3-8 in series finales, so their combined record in the second and third games of all series is 16-5...they had a 3-game errorless streak snapped last night...the RedHawks are 15-7 when errorless and 9-13 when charged with a bobble...Esteban German is tops in the league with 37 runs scored, 4 more than the nearest players...German is third in the league with 17 stolen bases...Hernan Iribarren leads the PCL with 5 sacrifice flies.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 25, 2010
- Munson's Two Homers Not Enough in Beavers Loss - Portland Beavers
- Luna Leads Zephyrs to Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Reno Silences Isotopes, 3-0 - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Rained Out - Tacoma Rainiers
- Express Score Early, Hang On to Defeat Vegas 8-5 - Round Rock Express
- Royals Select Contract Of Infielder Wilson Betemit From Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Cubs Defeat Salt Lake Bees, 8-2 - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Have Several Promotions For Eight Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Six-Run Third Gives Express Series Opener 9-6 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Reschedule Games With Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- OKC RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes - Round Rock Express
- Cashner Named PCL Pitcher Of The Week - PCL
- Zephyrs End Four Game Losing Streak Defeating Beavers - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Tacoma Extends Win Streak To A Season-High Five Games - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- Lifeshare Winterfest and Snow Tubing Canceled
- Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark Named Winner Of Ballpark Digest's Best Of The Ballparks Competition
- OKC Dodgers Announce Details Regarding the Cancellation of the 2020 Baseball Sesaon
- Registration Open for OKC Dodgers Rookie League Fall Season
- Statement from the Oklahoma City Dodgers