Munson's Two Homers Not Enough in Beavers Loss
PORTLAND, Ore. - Hector Luna had two hits including a three-run home run and Eric Munson hit two homers in a losing effort as the New Orleans Zephyrs topped the Portland Beavers 7-3 at PGE Park on Tuesday night.
Every position player except for second baseman Danny Richar had at least one hit for New Orleans (19-24) in the game. Lorenzo Scott hit his second home run of the season, a solo shot in the third inning.
Zephyrs starter Jorge Sosa (4-1) picked up the win for New Orleans. In five innings of work, he gave up three runs on four hits, striking out one and walking another.
Matt Buschmann (0-2) started for Portland (18-27) and took the loss. He tossed four innings and surrendered four runs, allowing three hits and three walks, striking out two.
Lance Zawadzki went 1-for-3 in the game with a walk and a run scored for Portland.
The Zephyrs jumped to a three-run lead in the first when Luna launched his three-run shot to left that brought home Emilio Bonifacio and Logan Morrison.
Portland responded in the bottom of the second when Munson hit the first of his two home runs, this one a solo-shot to right.
In the next frame, Scott put New Orleans back up by three runs when he hit his solo homer to right.
In the fourth, Munson hit his second blast, a two-run shot to left that brought home Zawadzki.
New Orleans struck again in the sixth when Lee Mitchell knocked an RBI triple into the right field gap to score Jason Lane from first. Mitchell later scored on a Mike Lamb single.
The Zephyrs scored their final run in the seventh when Brad Davis singled home Morrison from third base.
The Beavers continue their series against the Zephyrs at PGE Park Wednesday morning at 11:05 a.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Before Munson's second-inning blast, the Beavers had not homered in six consecutive games, the team's longest drought of the season ... Sosa took a line drive off his right ankle in the third inning but remained in the game ... Munson is the only Beaver to homer twice in a game this season, having also done so on May 8 against the Reno Aces ... Portland is now 1-22 this season when trailing after seven innings ... the Beavers have lost five games in a row, their longest streak this season ... the game was delayed 29 minutes due to rain before the first pitch.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 25, 2010
- Munson's Two Homers Not Enough in Beavers Loss - Portland Beavers
- Luna Leads Zephyrs to Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Reno Silences Isotopes, 3-0 - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Rained Out - Tacoma Rainiers
- Express Score Early, Hang On to Defeat Vegas 8-5 - Round Rock Express
- Royals Select Contract Of Infielder Wilson Betemit From Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Cubs Defeat Salt Lake Bees, 8-2 - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Have Several Promotions For Eight Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Six-Run Third Gives Express Series Opener 9-6 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Reschedule Games With Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- OKC RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes - Round Rock Express
- Cashner Named PCL Pitcher Of The Week - PCL
- Zephyrs End Four Game Losing Streak Defeating Beavers - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Tacoma Extends Win Streak To A Season-High Five Games - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss