Reno Silences Isotopes, 3-0
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Aces starter Matt Torra worked eight scoreless frames, and Blaine Boyer slammed the door from there as Reno dealt its first shutout of the 2010 season, a 3-0 victory over Albuquerque Tuesday night at Isotopes Park.
Torra (3-2) scattered 10 hits, walking one and striking out five batters in a spotless 104-pitch effort. Out of the bullpen, Boyer (1) came on and earned his first save of the season, after keeping the Isotopes off the scoreboard in the ninth.
Reno scored twice in the third inning, and as it would turn out, that is all it would need. Cole Gillespie drove in two runs with a single through the box, and Reno would hold the lead from that point forward.
The Aces would add an insurance run in the sixth inning on a solo homer off the bat of Sean Coughlin, pushing the lead to 3-0.
Gillespie finished 4-for-4 with two RBIs and a walk. Pedro Ciriaco added a two-hit effort for Reno.
The loss fell to Albuquerque starter Tim Corcoran (3-4), who allowed just three earned runs over seven innings of work.
The Aces and Isotopes will lock horns again on Wednesday night. RHP Wes Roemer (1-0, 1.29 ERA) gets the nod for Reno, and RHP James McDonald (2-1, 5.77 ERA) toes the slab for the Topes. First pitch from The Lab is set for 5:35 p.m. PT. The action can be heard live in Reno on Fox Sports Radio 1450 AM or by visiting www.RenoAces.com.
The Aces return home Friday, May 28, for a 7:05 p.m. contest against Sacramento. That game kicks-off a jam-packed four-game homestand at Aces Ballpark.
Tickets for all Aces games start at just $7, and are available by calling the Reno Aces box office at (775) 334-7000 or by visiting RenoAces.com. The brand-new Freight House District, located just outside Aces Ballpark, is open seven days a week, on both game days and non-game days.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 25, 2010
- Munson's Two Homers Not Enough in Beavers Loss - Portland Beavers
- Luna Leads Zephyrs to Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Reno Silences Isotopes, 3-0 - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Rained Out - Tacoma Rainiers
- Express Score Early, Hang On to Defeat Vegas 8-5 - Round Rock Express
- Royals Select Contract Of Infielder Wilson Betemit From Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Cubs Defeat Salt Lake Bees, 8-2 - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Have Several Promotions For Eight Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Six-Run Third Gives Express Series Opener 9-6 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Reschedule Games With Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- OKC RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes - Round Rock Express
- Cashner Named PCL Pitcher Of The Week - PCL
- Zephyrs End Four Game Losing Streak Defeating Beavers - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Tacoma Extends Win Streak To A Season-High Five Games - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada