Oil Kings Sign Blake Heward
Edmonton, AB - The Edmonton Oil Kings have signed 2003-born defenceman Blake Heward to a Western Hockey League Standard Player Agreement, the team announced today.
Heward, 17, was originally drafted by the Swift Current Broncos in the seventh-round of the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft.Â The Regina, Saskatchewan native spent last season with the Delta Hockey Academy U18 Prep team appearing in eight games and recording a pair of assists.Â While at the Delta Hockey Academy he was teammates with current Oil Kings Carson Latimer and Caleb Reimer.
This season he joined his hometown Regina Pat Canadians U18 AAA team where he picked up four goals and five assists in just seven games before their season was postponed in January.
"The organization is very excited to sign Blake to a WHL SPA," said Oil Kings President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Kirt Hill.Â "Blake has continued to grow into his game since we listed him two seasons ago and had a very strong training camp.Â He is a right shot defenceman who has a high hockey IQ, and a strong work ethic both on and off the ice. We look forward to him growing with the organization and would like to welcome the entire Heward family; Jamie, Ticia and Ireland to the Oil Kings."
The 6'0 170-pound defenceman is the son of former WHL/NHL defenceman and coach Jamie Heward, who is currently an assistant coach with the American Hockey League's Henderson Silver Knights.
Heward has been added to the active roster ahead of tomorrow night's season opener against the Lethbridge Hurricanes.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 25, 2021
- Silvertips Announce 2020-21 Roster at 24 Players - Everett Silvertips
- Oil Kings Announce Broadcast Details - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Chiefs Announce 2020-21 TV Broadcast Schedule on SWX - Spokane Chiefs
- Oil Kings Sign Blake Heward - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Sutter Expects Shortened Season to Feature Playoff-Like Intensity - Red Deer Rebels
- Winnipeg ICE Announce Hockey Operations Staff for the 2020-2021 Season - Winnipeg Ice
- McCartney Looking Forward to His 4th WHL Season - Brandon Wheat Kings
- McDonald Joins Raiders as Assistant Coach - Prince Albert Raiders
- Oil Kings Wrap up Training Camp - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Oil Kings Assign Sowa to AJHL - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Silvertips Open Regular Season March 20 at Home vs. Spokane, Announce 24-Game Schedule - Everett Silvertips
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.