Oil Kings Announce Home Opener for 2021-22 WHL Season
Edmonton, AB - The Edmonton Oil Kings will welcome fans back to Rogers Place when they open their 2021-22 Western Hockey League season on Friday, October 1 against the Red Deer Rebels, the team announced today.
The Oil Kings are committed to delivering a game experience this fall that places fan health and safety at the forefront, though they do not expect fan restrictions at Rogers Place.
In their previous 14 home openers in modern franchise history, the Oil Kings are 8-5-1-0. This will mark the seventh time in franchise history the Oil Kings will host the Rebels in their home opener. In the previous six contests, the Oil Kings are 3-2-1-0 against their QEII rival.
Oil Kings season seats are currently on sale at oilkings.ca or at 780-414-GOAL.
The remainder of the Oil Kings regular season schedule will be announced at a later date.
The Oil Kings will embark on a 68-game schedule against only Eastern Conference opponents (Central Division and East Division) in their quest for a third Ed Chynoweth Cup.
The WHL has also announced a new format for the post-season, which is slated to begin April 8, 2022 following the conclusion of the regular season on April 3, 2022.
The league will be moving to a Conference Playoff format with each division's winner garnering the first and second seeds in order of regular season points with the next six highest clubs within the conference, based on regular season points, being slotted from third to eighth. Clubs advancing to the second round and Conference Championships will be re-seeded each round based on regular season points. The two Conference Champions will advance to the WHL Championship Series, with the club possessing the most regular season points receiving home-ice advantage. All series will be a best-of-seven format.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 17, 2021
- CHL Import Draft Order Announced Thursday - Portland Winterhawks
- Former Hitmen Defender Egener Moving up Coaching Ranks - Red Deer Rebels
- WHL Board of Governors Extend Contract of WHL Commissioner Ron Robison - WHL
- Americans to Host Winterhawks for 2021-22 Home Opener on October 1 - Tri-City Americans
- Mike Egener Named Assistant Coach - Red Deer Rebels
- Home Opener Announced - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Hurricanes Announce Dairy Queen Home Opener - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Oil Kings Announce Home Opener for 2021-22 WHL Season - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Home Opener October 2nd vs Brandon - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Souch and Boucher Pace the Offence, Oil Kings Earn Split in Saskatoon
- Oil Kings Drop a Nail-Biter in Saskatoon
- Oil Kings Dump Rebels in Pre-Season Opener
- Oil Kings Announce Single Game Tickets to Go on Sale Next Week
- Oil Kings Issue Statement on Fan Access for Pre-Season Games