Home Opener Announced
Brandon, MB - For the first time in 573 days, there will be Wheat Kings hockey inside Westoba Place.
The WHL announced this week that the 2021-2022 season will officially kick-off in Brandon on Friday October 1st, when the Wheat Kings welcome the Winnipeg ICE.
The Wheat Kings along with the Western Hockey League and the Keystone Centre are anticipating the ability to open the doors and welcome fans back inside Westoba Place at full capacity for the entire 68-game regular season and beyond.
"It's been a long time coming for everyone involved," said Wheat Kings General Manager Doug Gasper. "We are beyond excited to get back into this building, in front of the best fans in the WHL. Coming off the experience from the Subway Cup in Regina, we expect to play an exciting, entertaining brand of hockey."
First and foremost, we would like to thank you for your role in helping limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus and taking the onus on yourself to get vaccinated and help push us into the home stretch.
Wheat Kings Vaccination Incentives
We would also like to thank all the doctors, nurses, front-line workers, and all Manitobans for their tireless effort over the last 16 months. It was not an easy road to navigate, but we did it together and will soon be able to gather and celebrate another year of Brandon Wheat Kings hockey as a result.
"The return of Wheat Kings hockey in Westoba Place is a huge step towards the return to normal life in Westman, and we can't wait. After a very difficult year, we are excited to be working with the Wheat Kings to bring Wheat Kings hockey, and Wheat Kings fans back to Westoba Place," says Jeff Schumacher, CEO & general manager of the Keystone Centre. "We want to thank Jared Jacobson for his leadership with the team, through the pandemic, to bring fans back into the building to create new memories, and begin enjoying events in Brandon, once again."
While we are still awaiting further details on any remaining provincial guidelines, here is what you can expect moving forward into the off-season.
1) Season Ticket Holders from 2019-20 will be notified via email of their renewal options by the end of June.
2) A full-scale season ticket launch will take place in July.
3) A new BWK Membership will be available, featuring all regular season & playoff games.
4) The BWK Team Store is open from 10-5 Monday to Friday. Ticket inquiries can be made in store.
5) Fans will enjoy several in-arena upgrades, including the new look boards and glass, an emphasis on the History of the Wheat Kings throughout the building and a new a vibrant game day atmosphere.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 17, 2021
- CHL Import Draft Order Announced Thursday - Portland Winterhawks
- Former Hitmen Defender Egener Moving up Coaching Ranks - Red Deer Rebels
- WHL Board of Governors Extend Contract of WHL Commissioner Ron Robison - WHL
- Americans to Host Winterhawks for 2021-22 Home Opener on October 1 - Tri-City Americans
- Mike Egener Named Assistant Coach - Red Deer Rebels
- Home Opener Announced - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Hurricanes Announce Dairy Queen Home Opener - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Oil Kings Announce Home Opener for 2021-22 WHL Season - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Home Opener October 2nd vs Brandon - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.