Nine Loons Called up for International Duty
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United announced today that nine Loons - Michael Boxall (New Zealand), Dayne St. Clair (Canada), Bongokuhle Hlongwane (South Africa), Teemu Pukki (Finland), Robin Lod (Finland), Kervin Arriaga (Honduras), Joseph Rosales (Honduras), Sang Bin Jeong (South Korea), and Ethan Bristow (Saint Kitts and Nevis) - have been called up to their respective national teams for the November international window.
Defender Michael Boxall will join the All Whites in Europe, heading to both Greece and Ireland for international friendlies. Boxall made his international debut in 2011 and has been a mainstay with the squad ever since, recently joining the team during the October international window.
Goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair returns to the Canadian Men's National Team to participate in the 2023-2024 Concacaf Nations League tournament, with two matches against Jamaica. St. Clair last appeared with team in the 2023 Gold Cup tournament in the Group Stage and quaterfinals. In the 2022-2023 Nations League tournament, Canada was the runner-up to the United States.
Forward Bongokuhle Hlongwane is set to join the Bafana Bafana in two World Cup Qualifying matches against Benin and Rwanda. South Africa is part of Group C, along with Benin, Rwanda, Lesotho, Nigeria, and Zimbabwe. The match against Benin will take place in South Africa before the group will travel to Rwanda for the second game of group play.
Forward Teemu Pukki and midfielder Robin Lod will join the Finland National Team for two UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying matches against Northern Ireland and San Marino. These two matches are the last of the qualification round. The Huukajat has lost its past three matches but still sits fourth in Group H, above Northern Ireland in fifth and San Marino in sixth. After missing four months of action during the 2023 season with Minnesota United, Lod will return to the pitch for the first time since May 17th, 2023.
Midfielders Kervin Arriaga and Joseph Rosales earned call-ups to the Honduras National Team for two matches in the 2023-2024 Concacaf Nations League tournament. Arriaga was withdrawn from national team camp on November 11 due to injury. Rosales and Honduras are set to play two matches against Mexico in the quarterfinals. Honduras, with three points, sits second behind Jamaica with seven points. Los Catrachos will look to reach the top three for the first time since 2020, where they took third.
Forward Sang Bin Jeong will join South Korea's U23 National Team for an international friendly against France on November 20. Most recently, Jeong played in the AFC U23 Asian Cup Qualifiers, appearing against Kyrgyzstan and Myanmar in September 2023. The Taegeuk Warriors clinched the top spot in Group B, winning both matches and securing a spot in the 2024 AFC U23 Asian Cup.
Defender Ethan Bristow has been called up for the first time to the Saint Kitts and Nevis National Team for the Concacaf Nations League, playing its last Group Stage match against Saint Lucia. Saint Kitts and Nevis have three points, sitting third in Group A of League B behind Saint Lucia and Guadeloupe.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 13, 2023
- Three Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Four Earthquakes Players Called for International Duty - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nine Loons Called up for International Duty - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Columbus Crew Forwards Cucho Hernández and Jacen Russell-Rowe Called up to Respective National Teams for November FIFA International Window - Columbus Crew SC
- NYCFC Pair Selected for International Duty - New York City FC
- Seven Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Academy Midfielder Cristiano Oliveira Called up for Under-16 U.S. Youth National Team Training Camp - New England Revolution
- Five Chicago Fire FC Players Called to National Team Duty - Chicago Fire FC
- Cade Cowell, Alex Covelo to Join U.S. Men's Olympic Soccer Team for November Matches - San Jose Earthquakes
- Facundo Farías Called up by Argentina U-23 National Team - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting KC to Open SportingStudio in KC Power & Light District - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls Defender John Tolkin Named to U.S. Men's Olympic National Team for November Friendlies - New York Red Bulls
- Colorado Rapids Homegrown Midfielder Cole Bassett Named to U.S. Men's Olympic Roster for November International Window - Colorado Rapids
- Charlotte FC's Mark Bodek Speaks at Best Buddies North Carolina Champion of the Year Gala - Charlotte FC
- Robert Taylor Called up by Finland - Inter Miami CF
- Benjamin Cremaschi Called up by U.S. Men's Olympic Team - Inter Miami CF
- Matt Miazga Named MLS Defender of the Year - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati's Matt Miazga Named MLS Defender of the Year 2023 - MLS
- John Pulskamp Joins U.S. Olympic National Team - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas' Bernard Kamungo Receives U.S. Men's Olympic Team Call-Up - FC Dallas
- George Campbell Called up by U23 United States National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Julian Hall, Tanner Rosborough, and Sebasthian Chavez Called in to United States U-16 Youth National Team Training Camp in California - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo FC Will Host Sporting Kansas City in Western Conference Semifinals on Sunday, November 26 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Crew Earns 4-2 Win Over Atlanta United - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United's Playoff Run Comes to an End, Falls 4-2 to Columbus Crew - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- Minnesota United Announces NutriSource as Official Partner
- Minnesota United Presents 2024 'Starry Night Kit'
- Minnesota United Loans Defender Mikael Marques to Västerås SK
- Minnesota United's 'Lamps' Set to Compete in eMLS 2024 Season Exclusively on EA Sports FC 24
- Minnesota United Acquires $75,000 in 2024 General Allocation Money from D.C. United