Colorado Rapids Homegrown Midfielder Cole Bassett Named to U.S. Men's Olympic Roster for November International Window
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - Colorado Rapids homegrown midfielder Cole Bassett has been named to the United States Men's Olympic Roster ahead of their international friendlies taking place in San Pedro del Pinatar, Spain, as the USA continues preparations for the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris. U.S. Soccer announced today.
The United States Men's Olympic Team is scheduled to participate in a pair of international friendlies as they prepare to return to the Olympics for the first time since 2008. As part of these matches, the U.S. will face Iraq (Nov. 18, 9 a.m. MT) and Morocco (Nov. 21, 7 a.m. MT). Both matches will be played at Pinatar Arena in San Pedro del Pinatar, Spain.
Bassett, 22, has scored 19 goals and has delivered 12 assists in the MLS regular season, both are the most by a Homegrown Player in club history. His 2023 campaign saw him set a new single-season career high for goals scored (6) and surpass 5,392 regular-season minutes, the most minutes registered by a Homegrown Player in club history. Across all competitions, Bassett is tied for fourth-most goals scored by a midfielder in club history (19).
The Littleton, Colorado native is one of the eight players named to the roster that have been capped by the full U.S. Men's National Team. The club's 2023 Golden Boot winner scored on his USMNT debut on December 18, 2021, in the dying moments to secure the 1-0 for the Red White and Blue after subbing on in the 78th minute to make his senior team debut against Bosnia and Herzegovina. The result marked the USMNT's 17th win in a calendar year, the most in program history.
Bassett is a product of local youth side Colorado Rush and joined the Rapids Academy in 2017 before signing a Homegrown Player contract with the club in August 2018 at age 17, then the youngest signing in Rapids history. At the time, he set additional records as the youngest player in club history to make his professional debut and score a goal. During his time with the Rapids, Bassett made 72 appearances for the club, recording 13 goals and 11 assists since making his professional debut on Sept. 8, 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 13, 2023
- Three Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Four Earthquakes Players Called for International Duty - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nine Loons Called up for International Duty - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Columbus Crew Forwards Cucho Hernández and Jacen Russell-Rowe Called up to Respective National Teams for November FIFA International Window - Columbus Crew SC
- NYCFC Pair Selected for International Duty - New York City FC
- Seven Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Academy Midfielder Cristiano Oliveira Called up for Under-16 U.S. Youth National Team Training Camp - New England Revolution
- Five Chicago Fire FC Players Called to National Team Duty - Chicago Fire FC
- Cade Cowell, Alex Covelo to Join U.S. Men's Olympic Soccer Team for November Matches - San Jose Earthquakes
- Facundo Farías Called up by Argentina U-23 National Team - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting KC to Open SportingStudio in KC Power & Light District - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls Defender John Tolkin Named to U.S. Men's Olympic National Team for November Friendlies - New York Red Bulls
- Colorado Rapids Homegrown Midfielder Cole Bassett Named to U.S. Men's Olympic Roster for November International Window - Colorado Rapids
- Charlotte FC's Mark Bodek Speaks at Best Buddies North Carolina Champion of the Year Gala - Charlotte FC
- Robert Taylor Called up by Finland - Inter Miami CF
- Benjamin Cremaschi Called up by U.S. Men's Olympic Team - Inter Miami CF
- Matt Miazga Named MLS Defender of the Year - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati's Matt Miazga Named MLS Defender of the Year 2023 - MLS
- John Pulskamp Joins U.S. Olympic National Team - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas' Bernard Kamungo Receives U.S. Men's Olympic Team Call-Up - FC Dallas
- George Campbell Called up by U23 United States National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Julian Hall, Tanner Rosborough, and Sebasthian Chavez Called in to United States U-16 Youth National Team Training Camp in California - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo FC Will Host Sporting Kansas City in Western Conference Semifinals on Sunday, November 26 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Crew Earns 4-2 Win Over Atlanta United - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United's Playoff Run Comes to an End, Falls 4-2 to Columbus Crew - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids Draw with Nashville SC 1-1 in Home Opener
- Colorado Rapids Take on Nashville SC in 2024 Home Opener
- Rapids Players and Fans Celebrate Season Kickoff Party, Get First Glimpse of One Flag Kit Ahead of Home Opener
- Four Players Make Club Debuts in Rapids' 2024 Season Opener Against Portland
- Colorado Rapids Announce Roster Compliance Breakdown