Nashville Soccer Club Clinches Playoff Berth in Historic Fashion for Second Consecutive Season
NASHVILLE, Tenn. Â - Nashville Soccer Club has officially clinched a berth in the 2021 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs after its historic 6-3 victory tonight over FC Cincinnati and the result of Columbus Crew defeating Orlando City earlier this evening.
"This group of players and coaches continue to rise to the occasion and meet each challenge in front of them, and we are so proud of them. To give this opportunity to the fans of this club is very special and want to congratulate everyone who supports this club on and off the field." said Nashville SC General Manager Mike Jacobs.
Nashville SC continues to make history since its inception into Major League Soccer as the Boys in Gold become just the fourth team in the expansion era to clinch a spot in the playoffs in back-to-back seasons since joining MLS along with Atlanta United FC, LAFC and Seattle Sounders FC.
With the victory tonight, the Boys in Gold improved their record to 12W-4L-16D and 52 points. Nashville SC have been impeccable in the Music City, owning the longest active unbeaten home streak in MLS, going unbeaten in 17 consecutive home matches, dating back to last season with a victory in the 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs over Inter Miami CF.
Led by a MVP candidate Hany Mukhtar and a stout defensive presence behind the reigning Defender of the Year Walker Zimmerman and Goalkeeper of the Year Candidate Joe Willis, Nashville SC created a balanced threat all season long to stay above the playoff line since June, allowing the fewest goals in the Eastern Conference to this date.
Mukhtar entered Wednesday's contest ranking third in MLS in goals + assists with 23, tied for seventh in MLS in goals with 13, fourth in shots with 84, and third in shots on target with 39. He also leads Nashville SC in these respective categories as well as assists. Mukhtar added to his assist total this season with three on the evening.
For Zimmerman, the 2021 All-Star Defender has anchored the Nashville SC backline to a 0.70 goals-against average when he's in the lineup this season entering Wednesday's match against Cincinnati. Nashville SC owns a record of 8W-3L-11D with Zimmerman in the lineup this season.
Helping Nashville SC into their elite status among expansion sides in the modern era is free agent signing CJ Sapong who reached the double-digit goal plateau for just the third time in his MLS career, including a brace tonight in the win over FC Cincinnati.Â Â
The Boys in Gold will continue its 2021 MLS regular season with a pair of Eastern Conference matches. Nashville will travel to the Sunshine State to take on Orlando City SC this Sunday before returning home to Nissan Stadium to host New York Red Bulls on Decision Day Nov. 7.
VisitÂ www.NashvilleSC.comÂ and follow the club's social channels onÂ Instagram,Â Facebook, andÂ TwitterÂ to keep up with Nashville SC
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 27, 2021
- FC Cincinnati Academy Midfielder Matthew Schenfeld Called into U-17 USMNT Camp - FC Cincinnati
- Match Preview: FC Cincinnati vs Nashville SC - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Set MLS Record for Most Points in a Season with 1-0 Victory vs. Colorado Rapids - New England Revolution
- Atlanta United Wins 2-1 vs. Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Bedoya scores in first minute; Union earn a point on the road - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas Falls 2-1 to Real Salt Lake at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Red Bulls Lose to D.C. United, 1-0 at Audi Field - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville Soccer Club Clinches Playoff Berth in Historic Fashion for Second Consecutive Season - Nashville SC
- Lions Mount Late Rally But Fall to Columbus on the Road - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Falls to New York City FC on a Penalty Kick at Yankee Stadium - Chicago Fire FC
- Rapids Reflect on Loss to New England Revolution - Colorado Rapids
- NYCFC Holds off Chicago Fire 1-0 - New York City FC
- Rapids Fall 1-0 to New England Revolution on the Road - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Face the Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC Academy Defender Aaron Deppe and Midfielder Celestino Vásquez Called into U-17 Men's National Teams - Chicago Fire FC
- Austin FC Academy Player Micah Burton Invited to U-17 U.S. Men's National Team Training Camp - Austin FC
- Walker Zimmerman and Hany Mukhtar Named to Major League Soccer's List of Best-Selling Jerseys in 2021 - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy Announce 2021 MLS Cup Playoff Ticket On-Sale Information - LA Galaxy
- Nani Ranks 11th as MLS Unveils 2021 Best-Selling Jerseys - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Leads League with Four Players in Top 25 Best-Selling 2021 Adidas MLS Jerseys - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Unveils 2021 Best-Selling Jerseys - MLS
- Josef Martínez tops MLS best-selling jerseys list for 2021; Miles Robinson ranks No. 7 - Atlanta United FC
- Gonzalo Higuaín Jersey Among Best-Selling MLS Jerseys in 2021 - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC, Ford Surprise LAFC Fan with Brand-New 2021 Ford Bronco Sport - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew Hosts Orlando City SC at Lower.com Field Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Begin Final Four Matches of 2021 Regular Season at FC Dallas - Real Salt Lake
- National Soccer Hall of Fame Announces 2022 Semifinalists from the Builder Ballot - FC Dallas
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Red Bulls Announce Future Home of New Training Complex - New York Red Bulls
- LAFC Climbs Back into Playoff Position with 3-0 Home Win over Seattle Sounders - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Drops 3-0 Road Matchup at LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville Soccer Club Falls in the Eastern Conference Semifinals of the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Travels to Philadelphia to Face Union in Eastern Conference Semis
- Nashville SC Wins First Round Match of 2021 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs 3-1 over Orlando City SC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts Orlando City SC in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- Nashville Soccer Club to Open Nashville SC Stadium on May 1, 2022, in the Venue's Inaugural MLS Match