Myrtle Beach Drops Third Straight in Loss to Winston-Salem
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - The Myrtle Beach Pelicans were blanked 6-0 by the Winston-Salem Dash in the series opener of their three-game set Saturday in front of 5,164 fans from TicketReturn.Com Field at Pelicans Ballpark.
Pelicans (46-52, 12-16) starter Cory Abbott (2-5) worked four scoreless innings before the Dash (60-39, 19-10) got to him with five runs in the fifth. Blake Rutherford lined a bases-loaded single to break the scoreless tie before Mitch Roman laced a two-run, ground rule double to give the Dash a 3-0 advantage. Gavin Sheets then plated a run on an RBI ground out and Yermin Mercedes pounded an RBI single of his own, making it 5-0.
In the seventh, Rutherford singled, stole second, advanced to third on a ground out and scored on a wild pitch to push the lead to 6-0.
Blake Batterfield (3-1) earned the win, throwing six shutout innings while striking out five and walking one.
Tyler Peyton threw two shutout innings out of the bullpen for the Pelicans. Roberto Caro went 2-for-3 with a double and a walk.
The Pelicans take on the Dash on Sunday in a 6:05 p.m. game. LHP Bryan Hudson (6-7, 4.84 ERA) starts for Myrtle Beach against Winston-Salem RHP Lincoln Henzman (0-1, 7.20 ERA). Television coverage begins at 6 p.m. on The CW21 and MiLB.tv. A radio broadcast starts at 5:50 p.m. on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast, the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn.
Sunday's game is an Ultimate Kids Sunday featuring free inflatables, face painting, balloon artists and a pregame on-field catch.
The 2018 season is the 20th season for the Pelicans franchise and fourth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 21, 2018
- Balanced Offense Leads Potomac to 7-3 Win in SeriesOpener - Potomac Nationals
- Hillcats Walk-Off Mudcats on Ninth Inning Wild Pitch - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Bullpen Wastes Three Run Eighth Inning Lead in 6-5 Loss in Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Drops Third Straight in Loss to Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Sox Squelched 7-3 by P-Nats Saturday - Salem Red Sox
- Battenfield, 11-Hit Effort Pushes Dash Past Birds - Winston-Salem Dash
- Mistakes Plague the Wood Ducks in Loss - Down East Wood Ducks
- Blue Rocks and Keys Postponed - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Keys and Blue Rocks Postponed - Frederick Keys
- July 21 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 21 at Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Tell Me About It Stud: P-Nats Host Grease 40th Anniversary Night with Didi Conn Appearance - Potomac Nationals
- RHP Ryan Williams assign to Low-A South Bend - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, July 21 vs. Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Pelicans Welcome Ryan Waters to Staff
- Special Guest Appearance by Darius Rucker for Hurricane Florence Benefit Concert
- Cubs, Pelicans Extend PDC Agreement
- Pelicans Announce Ticket Fundraiser for Local Flood Victims
- Pelicans Unveil Summer Month-Loaded 2019 Schedule