Mudbugs explode in third to win
A three goal-third period sparked a comeback for the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs as they beat the Corpus Christi IceRays 4-3 in the IceRays home opener on Saturday Night. The Bugs got two late goals in the back half of the third period to turn a deficit into an advantage, and held on for the win. The IceRays loss gave them a 0-1-1 record after opening weekend. They'll return to the ice at home on Friday night at 7:05pm to host the Laredo Bucks. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
Bossier-Shreveport jumped on the scoreboard early to take a 1-0 lead. Tyler Liebel redirected a Joe Blaznek shot past Kevin Defosses on the Mudbugs first shot to open the scoring at 1:39. The IceRays answered with a Chris Richards rebound goal at 6:48 to tie the score. The Rays then took their first lead of the game at 10:07 when Morgan MacLean beat John DeCaro with a wrist shot from the high slot to make it 2-1. The IceRays held onto that lead for the remainder of the period, outshooting the Bugs 12-11 in the frame.
Neither team found the back of the net in the second period, and for the second straight night the IceRays took a 2-1 lead into the final frame.
The Mudbugs rode a strong third period, however, for the comeback victory. Bossier-Shreveport tied the game early in the frame when Jeff MacDermid redirected a shot past Defosses 44 seconds into the period to make it 2-2. The IceRays answered when Jereme Tendler ripped a shot off the left post and in at 3:57 to reclaim the lead at 3-2. A freak play followed as late on a Mudbugs power play, the IceRays won a face-off in their own zone but had the puck deflect off of Morgan MacLean's stick and into his own net at 12:39. Joe Zappala was given credit for the goal as the center who took the faceoff. Minutes later the Bugs took their first lead since the opening period when Neil Clark lifted a backhand over Defosses to make it 4-3 Bossier-Shreveport. The IceRays pulled their goalie in the final seconds, and came inches away from forcing overtime, however Jereme Tendler's shot from the slot caromed off the post and went wide ending the game with a Bugs win.
Defosses took the loss (0-1) making 29 saves on 33 shots and DeCaro earned the win (1-1) stopping 24 of 27 IceRays shot. The IceRays power play went 0-4 and the Mudbugs went 1-5. The Bugs outshot the Rays 33-27 in the game.
The IceRays return to the American Bank Center on Friday Night for Texas National Guard Night on Frosty Friday's. The IceRays host the Laredo Bucks at 7:05pm, and the first 1,000 fans in attendance will receive Texas National Guard clappers. Also during Friday home games all 24 oz. domestic beers will be half-price. Fans can also get Flint Hills Chill Zone tickets for $7 each on the day of the game only. For ticket information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK (7825) or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 17, 2009
- Mudbugs explode in third to win - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mavericks Swept by Rush on Opening Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- Amarillo Slips Past Odessa, 2-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- One-goal game goes to Gorillas - Amarillo Gorillas
- Brahmas fall to Colorado - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Nelson Reaches Milestone in Eagles Win - Colorado Eagles
- Even Season, RiverKings Win in Wichita - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Start 2-0, Beat Bees 5-3 - Laredo Bucks
- 'Bugs Rally to Knock Off IceRays - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Thunder Drops See-Saw Battle - Wichita Thunder
- Bucks Look For Two Straight Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Oilers Defeat Mississippi 6-3 In Season Opener - Tulsa Oilers
- Allen Edges Arizona 1-0 In Goaltending Battle - Arizona Sundogs
- Rapid City Starts 2009-10 Campaign With 3-2 Win - Rapid City Rush
- Jackalopes Edge IceRays 3-2 In Shootout - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale