Mucha breaks WHL record
Kamloops, BC - The Kamloops Blazers Hockey Club is proud to announce that 20 year old goaltender Kurtis Mucha has set the WHL record for most games played by a WHL goaltender with 234 games. Mucha surpassed Kyle Moir's 233 games played, all with Swift Current from 2002-2007. He tied the record Wednesday in Portland, and broke the record against the Spokane Chiefs tonight.
"We're extremely proud of Kurtis' accomplishments thus far in the Western Hockey League, and as a Blazer" says Vice President / General Manager Craig Bonner. "Kurtis is such a terrific young man and has had a positive impact since joining our team."
Kurtis, who is in his fifth WHL season, played 213 games over four and a half seasons with the Portland Winterhawks. In 20 games with the Kamloops Blazers this season, the native of Sherwood Park, AB, has a 10-5-0-3 record with a 3.01 GAA and a .909 SV%.
This is the second WHL record Mucha has broken this season. On January 20th in Portland, Mucha bettered Kyle Moir's record for minutes played reaching 12,776 minutes. Mucha has since set the CHL record at 13,080 minutes and counting after surpassing Ryan Mior's (PEI, Gatineau 2003-2008) record of 12,933 minutes played in the QMJHL.
"It is a thrill to break another WHL record," Mucha said. "Not many players get to play as long as I have in this league and I am very thankful for that. The focus now though is to continue working hard and clinching a playoff spot," Mucha concluded.
Mucha will be recognized tomorrow night as the Blazers host the Lethbridge Hurricanes.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2010
- Dillon has goal and assist in 6-3 loss to Portland - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Silvertips Earn Ninth Straight Win At Home - Everett Silvertips
- Winterhawks Beat Seattle 6-3 Saturday - Portland Winterhawks
- Calgary Hitmen Move Into Central Division Lead With Win Over Medicine Hat - Calgary Hitmen
- Blades Fight Back to Beat Wheat Kings - Saskatoon Blades
- Blades Meet Wheaties In Battle For First Place - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Night: Kootenay - Regina Pats
- Wheat Kings To Battle Blades - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rai, Schappert and Wells score in 6-3 loss to Portland - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Spurgeon and Johnson Score Two Goals Each, Chiefs Win - Spokane Chiefs
- Winterhawks Improve to 9-0 vs. Seattle With 6-3 Win Friday - Portland Winterhawks
- Giants Shut Out Silvertips, 1-0 - Everett Silvertips
- Oil Kings momentum comes crashing down with 4-1 loss to Prince George - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rockets win eighth straight 3-2 over Lethbridge - Kelowna Rockets
- Stretch breaks Blazers record - Kamloops Blazers
- Mucha breaks WHL record - Kamloops Blazers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kamloops Blazers Stories
- Kamloops Blazers Sign Alex Kilba to a One-Day Contract
- Dr. Bob Smillie to Receive WHL Distinguished Service Award Friday, March 1 vs. Seattle
- 2019 Kamloops Blazers Hockey School August 12-16
- Kamloops Blazers Add Darryl Sydor as Assistant Coach
- WHL Suits up with Don Cherry to Promote Organ Donation Jerseys Friday, February 1st