Monarchs loses 3-0
HARTFORD, CT -The Manchester Monarchs could not extend their point streak to 10 games as goaltender Jason Missiaen recorded a shutout en route to a 3-0 Connecticut Whale victory at the XL Center on Saturday night.
Manchester (29-25-3-4) is in third place in the Atlantic Division with 65 points. Connecticut (29-25-5-3) is in second place in the Northeast Division with 63 points.
"We weren't ready to pay tonight," said Monarchs Head Coach Mark Morris. "That falls on my shoulder. Obviously, you need to get these guys to e more focused and ready to battle. It's important we understand that there needs to be greater sense of urgency and desperation this late in the season. Taking shifts off and lack of focus was evident from players logging big minutes. If you work hard, more times than not you get rewarded. It's no secret. Connecticut was more determined to fight for loose pucks early on. When we finally decided to play, we had great energy and scoring chances. That's what we want in terms of compete level."
The Whale opened up the scoring with a shorthanded goal by left Chris Kreider at 5:22 of the first period. Center Kris Newbury fed Kreider in the neutral zone on the left wing with speed. Kreider skated in behind the defense and flipped a backhand past the outstretched left leg pad of Monarchs goaltender Martin Jones for the eventual game-winning goal. Missiaen also tallied an assist on Kreider's 10th goal of the season.
Left wing Brandon Mashinter gave the Whale a 2-0 lead with a power play goal at 15:08 of the second period. Defenseman Logan Pyett fed left wing Andrew Yogan on the left wing where he gained the Monarchs zone. Yogan played the puck up to Mashinter in the top of the left wing face-off circle. Mashinter skated in and flipped a backhand high over the shoulder of Jones' glove side for his 10th goal of the season.
The Whale took a 3-0 with a goal by center Andrew Carroll at 17:41 of the second period. Center Kyle Jean grabbed a loose puck in the left wing corner in the Monarchs zone. Jean passed out to defenseman Mike Vernace at the left wing half wall. Vernace found Carroll in between the face-off circle where he took a wrist shot. Vernace's shot was blocked but he regained control before backhanding a shot that found the back of the net for his first goal of the season.
Jones (19-20-4) took his 20th loss of the season making 21 saves on 24 shots. Missiaen (8-4-2) earned his eighth victory of the season stopping all 27 shots he faced.
Manchester went 0-for-7 on the power play. Connecticut went 1-for-6 with the man advantage.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2013
- Kenny Reiter makes 31 saves in tough-luck loss as Sound Tigers earn point - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons' Home Winning Streak Ends In Loss To Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Connolly Leads Crunch over Devils - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals End Griffins' Five-Game Winning Streak - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Pound Admirals, 5-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Collins Assigned By Blue Jackets - Springfield Falcons
- Toronto Defeats Rochester 6-1 - Toronto Marlies
- Whale pick up win - Connecticut Whale
- Penguins Rally Past Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs loses 3-0 - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Score Three Unanswered to Take Down Pirates - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Fall in Syracuse 6-2 - Albany Devils
- Admirals See Four-Game Winning Streak Snapped in Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
- Mitchell Provides Heroics in Overtime Victory - Hershey Bears
- Bruins Defeat Falcons 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Thrill in Comeback Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- IceCaps Slide by Bulldogs 4-3 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- IceCaps Sign Saponari to ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Two Added to IceHogs Roster - Rockford IceHogs
- Hogs Host Peoria Tonight at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Lightning Recall Forward Dana Tyrell From Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #60 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates and Penguins Battle for Playoff Position - Portland Pirates
- Capitals Assign Schilling to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Florida Panthers Return Nolan Yonkman to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.