MNUFC to Host Hertha Berlin in International Friendly
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United today announced that it will host the Bundesliga's Hertha Berlin in the first ever international friendly at Allianz Field on Wednesday, May 22 at 7:00 p.m. CT. Season ticket members already have a ticket for this match - the 18th in their season ticket package - while tickets for the general public will go on sale on March 5. Members of The Preserve, newsletter subscribers and season ticket members interested in additional tickets will have access to presales beginning next week.
"This is a historic moment for our club. Our first ever international friendly - against an iconic opponent with the reputation that Hertha Berlin has - is part of the greater story of what MNUFC and our stadium, Allianz Field, aspire to be," said MNUFC CEO Chris Wright. "We are continuing to put Minnesota and Saint Paul on the global soccer map and we are beginning to take our place in the world's game. Our match against Hertha Berlin will be yet another step in that journey."
Founded in 1892, Hertha Berlin is the biggest club located in Germany's capital, Berlin. The club, also known as "The Old Lady," was a founding member of the German Bundesliga and remains the only Club in Berlin in Germany's 1st division. Hertha Berlin has recently enjoyed a run of success with consecutive qualifications for the Europa League and will come to Minnesota just after the conclusion of the current Bundesliga season. Hertha Berlin has created a distinctive and successful youth development program with several players earning spots on Bundesliga sides. The Olympiastadion Berlin, the home of the club, is one of the biggest and most storied sport venues in Europe. Hertha Berlin is known for activating its brand and sub-brands off the field with extensive community outreach activities throughout Berlin and Germany.
"To come to the Twin Cities is a highlight for our team," said Hertha Berlin MD Michael Preetz. "We are thankful for the opportunity and honored to be the first international club to play MNUFC at Allianz Field."
"It's the first Bundesliga team to ever come to Minnesota for a game so we are honored and thrilled to host this incredible club," said MNUFC Sporting Director Manny Lagos. "The Bundesliga is one of Europe's biggest and best leagues and Hertha Berlin has a long and storied history of competition within the league. We always look forward to playing external competition during the MLS season - this gives us an opportunity to test ourselves as a team against some of Europe's biggest clubs. These games are always entertaining for the fans and the players and they offer a unique look at global soccer. I know our players are looking forward to this game to showcase their skills against Bundesliga competition."
Paul Keuter, member of the Management Board Hertha Berlin: "We are excited to play against Minnesota United FC upcoming in May. As a club based in Berlin, a city with a long and deep history with the United States, it has been our ambition to come to Minnesota and to Saint Paul to face an MLS team in a sportive competition and develop the brand Hertha Berlin in the US."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 22, 2019
- Impact Games Broadcast on 98.5 and TSN 690 Until the End of 2020 Season - Montreal Impact
- Impact Faces D.C. United Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- Orlando City SC Announces 2019 MLS Broadcast Talent - Orlando City SC
- Washington State Legends of Soccer and Sounders FC Present A Night with Alan Hinton & Friends - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Acquire International Roster Slot from the Portland Timbers - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire $150,000 in Allocation Money from D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Sign Mauro Manotas to New Long-Term Contract - Houston Dynamo
- Premier Lacrosse League Announces Two Events at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Returns to Texas 21 in 2019 - FC Dallas
- Orlando City SC Signs Goalkeeper Brian Rowe - Orlando City SC
- MNUFC to Host Hertha Berlin in International Friendly - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Drops SCCL Opener to C.S. Herediano 3-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Sinks Toluca 3-0 in Champions League Opener - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- MNUFC Statement on Major League Soccer Suspending Season
- Minnesota United Statement on Covid-19 Ahead of Home Opener on March 15
- Minnesota United Defender Ike Opara Voted MLS Player of the Week
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Named to U.S. Olympic Qualifying Roster
- MNUFC Dominate in 5-2 Win in San Jose