D.C. United Acquire International Roster Slot from the Portland Timbers
United have acquired an International Roster Slot for the 2019 MLS Season from the Portland Timbers in exchange for $100,000 Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) in 2019 and $50,000 General Allocation Money (GAM) in 2020.
Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) are funds provided by Major League Soccer to teams to add or retain high value players and can be used to buy down the budget charge of a player making more than the maximum budget charge in annual compensation. Starting in 2015, each team initially received $100,000 in TAM per year for the next five years. MLS has since increased the amount of TAM issued to each team: $800,000 for 2016, $1.2 million for 2017, and $1.2 million per year plus an additional $2.8 in optional, discretionary TAM for 2018 and 2019.
General Allocation Money (GAM) is an annual allotment of money that is available to a club in addition to its salary budget. GAM can be used to sign players who are new to Major League Soccer, to re-sign an existing MLS player, to offset loan and transfer fees, to extend a new MLS player's contract for a second year and to reduce the Salary Budget Charge of a Designated Player to a limit of $150,000.
Transaction: United acquired an International Roster Slot from the Portland Timbers in exchange for $100,000 in Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) in 2019 and $50,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) in 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 22, 2019
- Impact Games Broadcast on 98.5 and TSN 690 Until the End of 2020 Season - Montreal Impact
- Impact Faces D.C. United Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- Orlando City SC Announces 2019 MLS Broadcast Talent - Orlando City SC
- Washington State Legends of Soccer and Sounders FC Present A Night with Alan Hinton & Friends - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Acquire International Roster Slot from the Portland Timbers - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire $150,000 in Allocation Money from D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Sign Mauro Manotas to New Long-Term Contract - Houston Dynamo
- Premier Lacrosse League Announces Two Events at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Returns to Texas 21 in 2019 - FC Dallas
- Orlando City SC Signs Goalkeeper Brian Rowe - Orlando City SC
- MNUFC to Host Hertha Berlin in International Friendly - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Drops SCCL Opener to C.S. Herediano 3-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Sinks Toluca 3-0 in Champions League Opener - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Beat Colorado Rapids 3-2 on the Road
- D.C. United Announce Two Washington Spirit Matches at Audi Field
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 with Montreal at Audi Field
- D.C. United Fall to LAFC 4-0 at Audi Field
- D.C. United Announce Complimentary FloFC Subscriptions for Black-And-Red Fans in April