Miners Use Big Fifth Inning to Bury Aviators
MARION, IL - The Southern Illinois Miners used a four-run fifth inning to pull away from the Rockford Aviators, presented by Pearson, and win by a score of 10-4.
Cole Green got the start for the Aviators and had a lot of control issues as he would allow four runs in just two innings of pitching. He allowed just two hits, but walked four batters and hit four more.
The Aviators trailed 4-1 heading into the fourth inning, but a two-run blast by Brian Bistagne, his second of the year brought the Aviators back within one 4-3. The Aviators closed the gap and tied the game up at four a piece in the top of the fifth inning when Jeff Kremer would ground out to second base, but scored Tanner Witt from third base.
However, in the bottom of the fifth inning, Michael Schaub gave up four runs on two hits after he had a costly throwing error to second base that could have been an inning-ending double-play. With the four runs, the Miners extended their lead to 8-4.
Schaub was strong in relief up to that point having retired the first six batters he faced. He even struck out the side after entering the game with the bases loaded and didn't allow any runs to score. He would be credited with the loss after the big fifth inning by the Miners.
The Miners would tack on two more runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to make the score 10-4 where it would remain through the end of the game.
The Aviators are back in action against the Miners tomorrow night beginning at 7:05 p.m. Fans can listen to the broadcast on the Meridix Network beginning at approximately 6:50 p.m. The link to the broadcast can be found at www.rockfordaviators.com
Rock River Valley Baseball, LLC 4503 Interstate Boulevard, Loves Park, IL 611111 Phone: (815) 885-2255 Fax: (815) 885-2204 Web: www.rockfordaviators.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 4, 2014
- ThunderBolts Fall 2-1 to Traverse City in 11 Innings - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Use Big Fifth Inning to Bury Aviators - Rockford Aviators
- Otters Rally Late for 11 Inning Win at Joliet - Evansville Otters
- CornBelters can't hold lead, fall to Boomers - Normal CornBelters
- Slammers Lose a Heartbreaker 5-4 in 11 Innings on Friday - Joliet Slammers
- Rally Comes up Short - Lake Erie Crushers
- Boomers Treat Giant Crowd to Comeback Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Lose 4-1 at GCS - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Take Down Rascals in Front of 7,052 Fans - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Wins on Independence Day - Florence Y'alls
- Wild Things Fall to Freedom - Washington Wild Things
- Crushers use two big innings to take both games of doubleheader - Lake Erie Crushers
- Big Innings Sink Aviators - Rockford Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.