Big Innings Sink Aviators
LOVES PARK, IL - The Rockford Aviators, presented by Pearson, couldn't overcome two monster innings by the Lake Erie Crushers as they lost both games of the double-header tonight at Aviators Stadium.
The Lake Erie Crushers used a seven-run fifth inning to break away from the Rockford Aviators to win by a final score of 10-2.
It was a pitcher's duel through the first four innings between the Aviators starter, Ryan Zimmerman, and the Crushers starter, Zach Gordon as the score was tied at one a piece until a solo shot by Edgar Corcino, his fifth of the year, put the Aviators up 2-1 in the bottom of the fourth.
But the wheels fell off for the Aviators in the top of the fifth as all but one Crushers batter reached base in the inning as they would score seven runs on five hits.
The Crushers would go on to score two more in the top of the seventh as they cruised to a 10-2 victory.
Corcino, who had the solo home run for the Aviators, would finish the game going 3-3 with a home run and two doubles with two RBIs.
For the second game in a row, the Lake Erie Crushers had another big fifth inning that gave them the runs they would need to hold on for a 9-7 victory over the Rockford Aviators.
The Aviators held a 3-0 lead heading into the fifth, but the Crushers cranked out seven hits in the fifth inning, boosted by four walks, to score nine runs in the top of the inning to take a 9-3 lead.
The Aviators fought back however, scoring two runs in the bottom of the fifth to make the score 9-5 and then they loaded the bases in the bottom of the seventh and scored two more runs, but with the bases loaded and two outs, Tanner Witt was called out on strikes on a pitch low in the strike zone that ended the Aviators rally and making the final score 9-7.
Kenny Bryant led the Aviators in the game as he would finish the night 2-3 with four RBIs.
The Aviators are back in action tomorrow night on the road against the Southern Illinois Miners. Game time is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. and the pre-game show for the broadcast will begin at approximately 6:50 p.m. The link to the broadcast can be found at www.rockfordaviators.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 4, 2014
- ThunderBolts Fall 2-1 to Traverse City in 11 Innings - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Use Big Fifth Inning to Bury Aviators - Rockford Aviators
- Otters Rally Late for 11 Inning Win at Joliet - Evansville Otters
- CornBelters can't hold lead, fall to Boomers - Normal CornBelters
- Slammers Lose a Heartbreaker 5-4 in 11 Innings on Friday - Joliet Slammers
- Rally Comes up Short - Lake Erie Crushers
- Boomers Treat Giant Crowd to Comeback Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Lose 4-1 at GCS - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Take Down Rascals in Front of 7,052 Fans - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Wins on Independence Day - Florence Y'alls
- Wild Things Fall to Freedom - Washington Wild Things
- Crushers use two big innings to take both games of doubleheader - Lake Erie Crushers
- Big Innings Sink Aviators - Rockford Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.