Mikowski Scores First Pro Goal in Close Loss to Macon
EVANSVILLE, IN: Cheektowaga, NY. Native Max Mikowski introduced himself in his Evansville Thunderbolts debut tonight against the second-place Macon Mayhem. Mikowski made a major impact by scoring a goal in his first professional game that would spark a three-goal third period from the Thunderbolts, as Evansville was just barely edged by Macon, 5-3.
Jake Schultz would get in his first brawl as an Evansville Thunderbolt late in the second period, taking on a solid opponent in Macon's Seth Ronsberg. It would be an even bout with plenty of shots exchanged, for a solid 15-20 seconds before being split up by the linesmen and shaking hands in a show of mutual respect before heading to the dressing rooms for the rest of the second period. The Thunderbolts, who were outshot in the first period, took a shot lead in the second period, as the momentum built up. The third period would be their best of the night, as Mikowski scored his first goal at the 3:02 mark, off a deflection play from Frank Schumacher and C.J. Blaszka. After two quick goals by Macon, Scott Donohue would score with 3:59 left on a rebound from Eric Salzillo to make it 5-2. The Thunderbolts would get even closer as Nick D'Avolio scored on a rebound with 1:22 left from Shayne Morrissey and Brandon Tucker to make it 5-3, but that would be as close as the Thunderbolts would get.
Mikowski, D'Avolio, and Donahue had the Evansville goals, while Braeden Ostepchuk made 37 saves in net. Both teams meet again tomorrow night for Jurassic Park Night, in which the Thunderbolts will wear special Jurassic Park-themed jerseys which will be auctioned off after the game. Puck drops at the Ford Center at 7:15pm CT.
UPCOMING HOME EVENTS:
Saturday, January 19 - Jurassic Night, special jersey auction with proceed donated to Tri-State MS Association
Friday, February 8 - Faith Night presented by Oakland City University
Friday, February 15 - First Responders Night, special jersey auction
Images from this story
Evansville Thunderbolts vs. the Macon Mayhem
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Late Flurry Helps Rivermen Weather Storm Saturday - Peoria Rivermen
- Morrissey Tallies Goal and Assist in Loss to Mayhem - Evansville Thunderbolts
- Bulls Fall to Pensacola in OT - Birmingham Bulls
- Taulien Scores Hat Trick as Mayhem Sweep Evansville - Macon Mayhem
- Slow Start Stops Marksmen Streak, Falling 4-3 - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rail Yard Dawgs Bury Marksmen, 4-3 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Preview: Mayhem at Evansville Thunderbolts (Game 31) - Macon Mayhem
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (14-15-0) at Marksmen (15-11-3) - 6:00 PM - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- McCormick Crushes Capacity Crowd's Night in Roanoke - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Brad Barone Returned from ECHL Newfoundland - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Salkeld Guides Havoc to 4-1 Win over Knoxville - Huntsville Havoc
- Mikowski Scores First Pro Goal in Close Loss to Macon - Evansville Thunderbolts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.