Michael Reed Named FSL Player of the Week
VIERA, Fla. - The Florida State League announced on Monday that Brevard County Manatees' outfielder Michael Reed was named the league's player of the week for the period of April 28-May 4.
In six games last week, Reed hit .571 (12-for-21) with two home runs, five runs batted in, scored nine runs and had a .700 on-base percentage. He also doubled twice, walked eight times, stole three bases and racked up 22 total bases.
Reed had four multi-hit games this past week and in Brevard County's historic 20-0 win over the Clearwater Threshers this past Tuesday, he reached base in all seven of his plate appearances.
This past week, Reed's batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage have skyrocketed. His batting average has gone from .229 on April 28 to .314 entering Monday. Reed's on-base percentage has also increased 85 points and his slugging percentage has soared from .300 to .488.
Reed comes into play on Monday tied for first in the FSL with 15 stolen bases and ranks second in the league in both on-base percentage with a .487 on-base percentage and 28 walks.
The 21-year-old from Cedar Park, Texas was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the fifth round of the 2011 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft out of Leander High School in Leander, Texas.
For more information on the Brevard County Manatees, call (321) 633-9200 or go online to ManateesBaseball.com . Also, don't forget to like the Manatees on Facebook and follow the Manatees both on Twitter and Instagram .
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 5, 2014
- Mets Breeze Past Stone Crabs 5-2 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Manatees Squander Chances in 5-3 Loss to Clearwater - Brevard County Manatees
- Martinez Drives in Three in Win - Clearwater Threshers
- Williams Rebounds After Rocky First Inning - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Tomshaw Leads Miracle to 3-2 Victory - Fort Myers Miracle
- Ynoa, Sewald, Wheeler Pitch Mets to 5-2 Win over Crabs - St. Lucie Mets
- Williams Quiets Palm Beach Bats - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Charles Giving Back, Shifting Approach - Clearwater Threshers
- Michael Reed Named FSL Player of the Week - Brevard County Manatees
- Mets Down Stone Crabs 5-0 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Friendly Kia Makes New Friends for Education Day - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Tigertown to Host Junior College State Baseball Championships May 9-14 - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Pitching Falters in 11-5 Loss - Clearwater Threshers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.