Mets Sweep Stone Crabs in Doubleheader
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - The St. Lucie Mets swept their doubleheader vs. the Charlotte Stone Crabs on Tuesday at First Data Field.
The Mets won the first game 5-3. They rallied from a three-run deficit to win game 2 in extra innings, 6-5.
In game 1, Dash Winningham slugged a three-run homer in the third inning to put the Mets ahead 4-3.
In the fifth inning Desmond Lindsay scored on a balk to add an insurance run and make it 5-3.
Mets starting pitcher Justin Dunn settled in after a rocky start. He scattered eight hits and allowed two earned runs in 5.2 innings. He walked two and struck out six.
Ryder Ryan notched a four-out save. It was his first save of the season.
In game 2, the Mets trailed 4-1 with two outs in the sixth inning. Dale Burdick ripped a two-run triple to make it a 4-3 game. Then with a two-strike count, Jacob Zanon used his speed to reach on an infield single and bring home Burdick from third to tie the game.
The game went to extra innings and in the top of the eighth Charlotte's Jesus Sanchez singled to bring home the free runner Robbie Tenerowicz, who was placed on second base to start the extra frame.
The Mets had no problem coming back again in the bottom of the eighth. Anthony Dimino started the inning at second base. Luis Carpio was hit by a pitch. Then Gene Cone singled to load the bases.
Dan Rizzie lofted a sac fly to bring home Dimino to tie the game. The fly out also advanced Carpio to third base. After an intentional walk to Burdick, reliever Yoel Espinal threw a wild pitch with Jacob Zanon at the plate. The misfire allowed Carpio to scamper home for the walk-off win.
Matt Pobereyko earned the win after limiting the damage in the top of the eighth.
Burdick went 3 for 3 with a triple, two singles, a walk, two RBI and a run.
The Mets improved to 8-2 at First Data Field. Charlotte dropped to 2-9 on the road.
The Mets (9-9) and Stone Crabs (9-10) conclude their series on Wednesday with a single nine-inning game. First pitch at First Data Field is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. It's All You Can Eat and a Seat for $20.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from April 25, 2018
- Tortugas Eat up Fire Frogs, 11-2, Wednesday - Daytona Tortugas
- Wagner Hits Grand Slam in 7-3 Win - Tampa Tarpons
- Jordan Rodgers Picks up Two Hits in Loss to Daytona - Florida Fire Frogs
- Charlotte Salvages Series with 11-4 Win over Mets - St. Lucie Mets
- Florida Fire Frogs Game Notes: April 25, 2018 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Threshers Sweep Miracle with 9-5 Win - Clearwater Threshers
- Blankenhorn Goes Deep Twice In 9-5 Loss - Fort Myers Miracle
- Purple Heart Saturdays Honor Local Veterans - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- MiLB.tv: A Service We Like but Want to Love - OSC Original by Paul Reeths
- St. Lucie Sinks Stone Crabs in Tuesday Doubleheader - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Mets Sweep Stone Crabs in Doubleheader - St. Lucie Mets
- Ryan Is 4-Olson, Following Daytona's 7-3 Win - Daytona Tortugas
- Hall Delivers, Threshers Walk off 3-2 - Clearwater Threshers
- Lind Leads Tampa to 3rd-Straight Win - Tampa Tarpons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.