McConnell's Three-RBI Night Lifts Power to 4-3 Win
CHARLESTON, W. Va. - Charlie McConnell drove in three early runs and lifted the Power to a 4-3 win over the Hickory Crawdads Wednesday night at Appalachian Power Park.
For the second straight matchup, the Power (7-7, 44-40) struck for the first run of the ballgame thanks to McConnell in the third inning. Joseph Rosa doubled to lead off the frame and advanced to third before McConnell lofted a sacrifice fly to right field that made it 1-0 Power.
Josias De Los Santos (1-5) tossed three scoreless frames to start his outing, but surrendered three runs in the fourth on a trio of Hickory (10-4, 51-29) doubles. All three of their runs scored with two outs on the board, and the Crawdads took a 3-1 lead.
Tim Brennan (7-3) retired Bobby Honeyman to start the bottom of the fourth, but then issued back-to-back walks to Jake Anchia and Onil Pena to put a pair of runners on for Rosa. The Power second baseman scorched a single into right which scored Anchia and brought the score to 3-2. After both Pena and Rosa advanced into scoring position on a Mike Salvatore groundout, McConnell singled to left and plated both runs to hand West Virginia a 4-3 lead.
Reeves Martin made his Power debut in relief of De Los Santos in the sixth and struck out the first batter he faced before inducing a ground ball double play to end his outing. Dayeison Arias entered in the seventh and fired 1.1 hitless innings with a pair of strikeout to preserve the one-run lead going into the ninth.
Bryan Pall (S,5) was called upon to shut the door and did just that when he fanned the first two batters and forced a ground ball to third to end the game.
The Power now hits the road to begin a four-game series against the Lexington Legends Thursday evening at Whitaker Bank Ballpark, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. RHP Clay Chandler (7-4, 4.02 ERA) heads to the hill for West Virginia, while Lexington has yet to name a starter. Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
The Power returns to Appalachian Power Park on Tuesday, July 9, for another Two for Tuesday, presented by Rock 105, where fans can enjoy two-for-one concession specials and specialty items. Additionally, fans can purchase two tickets for the price of one only at the Power Box Office. For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 3, 2019
- Late-Game Comeback Falls Just Short in 13-11 Loss - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Medina Falters as Dogs Fall in Series Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Red-Hot GreenJackets Take Series from Charleston - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Win on Cluff's Walk-Off Single - Hagerstown Suns
- Sell-Out Crowd of 7,872 Celebrate Independence Day Early with Fireflies Win - Columbia Fireflies
- McConnell's Three-RBI Night Lifts Power to 4-3 Win - West Virginia Power
- Boyd's Grand Slam Highlights July 3rd Win - Asheville Tourists
- 'Claws One-Hit 'Birds, Take Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Silva, Lindow Combine on One-Hit Shutout in 2-0 July 3rd BlueClaws Victory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 3 vs. Greenville (Game 80) - Columbia Fireflies
- Vavra Named Uncle Ray's South Atlantic League Player of the Month - Asheville Tourists
- Game Notes (July 3) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Intimidators Walk it off in 5-4 Defeat of Braves - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Virginia Power Stories
- Power to Host Negro Leagues' Centennial Celebration Exhibit August 7
- Brubaker Makes MLB Debut with Pirates Sunday in St. Louis
- Power to Host PBR WV Panhandle Series Tournament
- 2020 Minor League Season Shelved
- Official Statement from Managing Partner Tim Wilcox