Boyd's Grand Slam Highlights July 3rd Win
ASHEVILLE - The Asheville Tourists won a rain-shortened game against the Lexington Legends on Wednesday night by a final score of 10-6. The Tourists overcame a three-run deficit thanks to a seven-run fifth inning and were out in front when the rain came during the seventh inning.
LeeMarcus Boyd broke a 6-6 tie after the Tourists rallied for three runs in the fifth inning. Boyd's tie-breaking hit was a 409-foot Grand Slam to left-center. It was the first Home Run of Boyd's professional career and it proved to be the difference in the game.
Daniel Montano and Willie MacIver each doubled in the first inning to account for the game's first run. Lexington plated two in the second inning but Asheville tied the score on a Boyd double off the centerfield wall.
After the Legends plated three runs in the third, Luke Morgan brought Asheville a little bit closer by capping off a two-out rally in the third inning with an RBI single. Ryan Feltner and Raymells Rosa combined to pitch all seven innings with Feltner earning his fourth win of the season.
The Asheville Tourists now have seven Grand Slams this season. The South Atlantic League record is eight which was accomplished in the 1969 and 1997 seasons.
Asheville finished with 13 hits and worked five walks. The Tourists now head to Rome for a July 4 matchup following their two games to one series victory over the Legends.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 3, 2019
- Late-Game Comeback Falls Just Short in 13-11 Loss - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Medina Falters as Dogs Fall in Series Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Red-Hot GreenJackets Take Series from Charleston - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Win on Cluff's Walk-Off Single - Hagerstown Suns
- Sell-Out Crowd of 7,872 Celebrate Independence Day Early with Fireflies Win - Columbia Fireflies
- McConnell's Three-RBI Night Lifts Power to 4-3 Win - West Virginia Power
- Boyd's Grand Slam Highlights July 3rd Win - Asheville Tourists
- 'Claws One-Hit 'Birds, Take Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Silva, Lindow Combine on One-Hit Shutout in 2-0 July 3rd BlueClaws Victory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 3 vs. Greenville (Game 80) - Columbia Fireflies
- Vavra Named Uncle Ray's South Atlantic League Player of the Month - Asheville Tourists
- Game Notes (July 3) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Intimidators Walk it off in 5-4 Defeat of Braves - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.