Vavra Named Uncle Ray's South Atlantic League Player of the Month
ASHEVILLE - Minor League Baseball announced the Uncle Ray's June Players of the Month earlier today and the South Atlantic League's honoree is Asheville Tourists Shortstop Terrin Vavra. Terrin is the first Tourists to win the award since Tyler Nevin was named the SAL Player of the Month in August of 2017. Jesus Tinoco also won the award with Asheville in August of 2015.
Vavra led the South Atlantic League in batting average (.350), was second in OPS (.957) and third on-base percentage (.444). His 15 walks outnumbered his 12 strikeouts, and his 17 runs scored were good for fourth-best in the league. Vavra reached base safely in 21 of 22 June contests and he hit safely in 18 games. Vavra, 22, was selected by Colorado in the third round of the 2018 First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Minnesota.
Terrin currently ranks tied for second in the league in overall batting average (.325), first in runs scored (55), second in hits (88), tied for first in doubles (24), and second in on-base percentage (.411). The Tourists infielder has reached base safely in his last 17 games played.
Vavra's biggest game in June came on June 20 versus Columbia. Terrin went 4-for-7 with two Home Runs, a double, six RBI, and three runs scored. It was Vavra's second game this season with six runs batted in.
Detroit-based Uncle Ray's began in 1965 out of the backseat of a car and has since grown to be a leading producer of potato chips and snacks with an offering of many flavors at a terrific price point. Vavra's Uncle Rays flavor of choice is Jalapeno.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 3, 2019
- Late-Game Comeback Falls Just Short in 13-11 Loss - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Medina Falters as Dogs Fall in Series Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Red-Hot GreenJackets Take Series from Charleston - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Win on Cluff's Walk-Off Single - Hagerstown Suns
- Sell-Out Crowd of 7,872 Celebrate Independence Day Early with Fireflies Win - Columbia Fireflies
- McConnell's Three-RBI Night Lifts Power to 4-3 Win - West Virginia Power
- Boyd's Grand Slam Highlights July 3rd Win - Asheville Tourists
- 'Claws One-Hit 'Birds, Take Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Silva, Lindow Combine on One-Hit Shutout in 2-0 July 3rd BlueClaws Victory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 3 vs. Greenville (Game 80) - Columbia Fireflies
- Vavra Named Uncle Ray's South Atlantic League Player of the Month - Asheville Tourists
- Game Notes (July 3) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Intimidators Walk it off in 5-4 Defeat of Braves - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.