Red-Hot GreenJackets Take Series from Charleston
CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA: The Augusta GreenJackets (45-37, 9-5) are red-hot. After they go 17-8 in the month of June, they start July with a series win over the Charleston RiverDogs (43-41, 6-8) at Joseph P. Riley Jr. Park in Charleston, South Carolina. An 11-8 win for the Jackets helped them win their 3rd consecutive series and remain in 1st place in the 2nd-half standings.
Multi-hit games from Jacob Gonzalez and Zander Clarke help the Jackets on offense, while Diego Rincones extends his hitting streak to nine-games, and Ismael Munguia extends his hit-streak to seven-games.
The GreenJackets offense picked-up where they left off from yesterday. In the first inning, the Jackets scored three runs. Charleston committed three errors in the frame, and Zander Clarke made the RiverDogs pay with a two-run home run to make it 3-0 Jackets.
Charleston responded off Keaton Winn in the home-half. Two runs came in to score on singles from Mickey Gasper and Max Burt to make the score 3-2. The Jackets scored twice in the 2nd inning. RBI singles for Diego Rincones and Zander Clarke gave the Jackets a 5-2 advantage.
The big inning at the plate came from the Jackets in the 4th inning. In a five-run frame, Charleston helped the Jackets out by committing two more errors. Ismael Munguia drove in two runs on a single to cap-off the scoring to make it a 10-2 GreenJackets lead.
The Jackets scored one more run the rest of the way on a Diego Rincones sacrifice fly in the 7th inning.
Charleston would not go quietly though. The RiverDogs scored three in the 4th inning, and added three more in the 8th inning to make it 11-8. Jesus Tona came into the game for the 9th inning and collected his 14th save of 2019 to help the Jackets secure the series win.
Player of the Game: Zander Clarke, 2-4, 2 R, 3 RBI, HR, BB
In his best game, and just his 10th game, as an Augusta GreenJacket, Zander Clarke drove in three runs and had his 2nd home run of his professional career. The big night for Clarke helped the Jackets secure the series victory over Charleston.
Tomorrow's Game: 6:35 PM vs Kannapolis Intimidators (Chicago White Sox), SRP Park, North Augusta, South Carolina
Pitching Matchup: (KAN) TBD (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs (AUG) RHP Adam Oller (2-1, 3.91 ERA)
Adam Oller is coming off his best start of the season on June 29th vs the Lexington Legends, so it's only right that he takes the baseball on America's Birthday. Oller will make his 7th start of the season tomorrow as a GreenJacket, following a performance where he went six-innings allowing just one-run, and he finished with seven strikeouts. Oller was signed by the San Francisco Giants in May after he began 2019 pitching in the Frontier League (Independent Baseball) for the Windy City Thunderbolts. He was drafted in the 20th round by the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2016, but he was released in November of 2018.
Next Homestand: Thursday July 4th- Sunday July 7th vs Kannapolis Intimidators (Chicago White Sox)
It's Independence Day weekend at SRP Park, and the Augusta GreenJackets have a jam-packed schedule full of promotions for the CSRA. Starting on Thursday at 6:35 p.m. the GreenJackets will take on the Kannapolis Intimidators. Gates will open at 5 p.m. for a pregame concert from Cody Webb. After the game, the GreenJackets will shoot off the biggest Fireworks Show of the 2019 season. The fun continues on Friday for Ladies Night and our Unisys Camo Hat Giveaway for the first 1,500 fans in attendance. Saturday, July 6th will feature another Booming Fireworks Show and the first 2,000 fans through the gates will receive 3-D Fireworks glasses. Local CSRA Band, Gone Again, will be performing Saturdays Pregame concert beginning at 4:30 p.m. The big weekend concludes on Sunday with "Sunday Funday" where fans can have a pregame catch on the field from 4-4:30 p.m. It will also be Slip and Slide Sunday so make sure to come with your bathing suits, as their will be multiple water slides out in the Augusta University Health Kids Zone. First pitch is schedule for 5:05 p.m. on Sunday. For more information head to GreenJacketsbaseball.com or call (803)-349-WINS.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 3, 2019
- Late-Game Comeback Falls Just Short in 13-11 Loss - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Medina Falters as Dogs Fall in Series Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Red-Hot GreenJackets Take Series from Charleston - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Win on Cluff's Walk-Off Single - Hagerstown Suns
- Sell-Out Crowd of 7,872 Celebrate Independence Day Early with Fireflies Win - Columbia Fireflies
- McConnell's Three-RBI Night Lifts Power to 4-3 Win - West Virginia Power
- Boyd's Grand Slam Highlights July 3rd Win - Asheville Tourists
- 'Claws One-Hit 'Birds, Take Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Silva, Lindow Combine on One-Hit Shutout in 2-0 July 3rd BlueClaws Victory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 3 vs. Greenville (Game 80) - Columbia Fireflies
- Vavra Named Uncle Ray's South Atlantic League Player of the Month - Asheville Tourists
- Game Notes (July 3) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Intimidators Walk it off in 5-4 Defeat of Braves - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- GreenJackets Awarded the Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award
- : Jackets Season Ends in Lexington
- Playoff Notes: Game 2, SALSCS at Lexington Legends, 7:05 p.m., Whitaker Bank Ballpark
- Lexington Takes Game #1 with 2-1 Victory
- Playoff Notes: Game 1, SALSCS vs Lexington Legends, 7:05 p.m., SRP Park