'Claws One-Hit 'Birds, Take Series
LAKEWOOD, NJ - The Delmarva Shorebirds managed just one hit on the evening, bowing to the Lakewood BlueClaws 2-0 on Wednesday night at FirstEnergy Park.
Manuel Silva (2-2) put up a dominant start for the BlueClaws (5-9, 34-50), allowing one hit over five scoreless innings with two walks and two strikeouts. Ryan Wilson (3-3) took the hard-luck loss in his fourth straight Quality Start for the Shorebirds (10-4, 58-25), giving up two runs on five hits over six innings while walking two and striking out a career-high 10 batters. Wilson's 10-K night marks the sixth time this season a Delmarva starter has fanned double digits in a game.
Ethan Lindow took the baton from Silva in the sixth and took it the rest of the way for his first save, no-hitting the Shorebirds over four innings with three walks and three punchouts.
The teams engaged in a staring contest over the first four innings, and Delmarva finally blinked in the bottom of the fifth. Malvin Matos led off with a single, then after two strikeouts Matos finally stole second base, the fourth of five Lakewood stolen bases on the night. Jonathan Guzman followed with a flare into shallow left center for another single, scoring Matos to put the BlueClaws on the board at 1-0.
Rafael Marchan then hit a flyball into shallow left that three Shorebirds miscommunicated on, and it fell harmlessly to the grass for another base hit, allowing Guzman to take third. Luis Garcia came up next and rolled a grounder to the opposite side of a Delmarva shift and into right for another single, plating Guzman to put the home side up 2-0.
The Shorebirds' only hit on the night came in the top of the fifth, a Ben Breazeale leadoff single. Breazeale got erased two batters later on a double play grounder, one of two Delmarva would roll into on the night. The Shorebirds worked five walks off Silva and Lindow but could only get one man to third base all night, suffering their second shutout loss in the three-game series against the BlueClaws.
Guzman put up solid numbers at the top of the order for the BlueClaws, going 2-for-4 with a run and RBI.
The Shorebirds now return to Perdue Stadium for a four-game set against the Hagerstown Suns, beginning on Thursday night, the Fourth of July. Hector Guance (5-3, 3.90) will toe the rubber for Delmarva against Hagerstown's Reid Schaller (0-0, 4.50). First pitch is set for a special time 6:05 p.m. with gates opening at 5:00. Thursday's game features a postgame Q105 Fireworks show, set to be the biggest Fourth of July staging on Delmarva. On Support Your Troops Night, the Shorebirds will wear special patriotic jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game, with proceeds going to the Department of Maryland VFW Military Assistance Programs. It's also KISS 95.9 Thirsty Thursday presented by Salisbury Pit & Pub. Pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch App begins at 5:50 with Will DeBoer and Sam Jellinek on the call.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 3, 2019
- Late-Game Comeback Falls Just Short in 13-11 Loss - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Medina Falters as Dogs Fall in Series Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Red-Hot GreenJackets Take Series from Charleston - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Win on Cluff's Walk-Off Single - Hagerstown Suns
- Sell-Out Crowd of 7,872 Celebrate Independence Day Early with Fireflies Win - Columbia Fireflies
- McConnell's Three-RBI Night Lifts Power to 4-3 Win - West Virginia Power
- Boyd's Grand Slam Highlights July 3rd Win - Asheville Tourists
- 'Claws One-Hit 'Birds, Take Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Silva, Lindow Combine on One-Hit Shutout in 2-0 July 3rd BlueClaws Victory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 3 vs. Greenville (Game 80) - Columbia Fireflies
- Vavra Named Uncle Ray's South Atlantic League Player of the Month - Asheville Tourists
- Game Notes (July 3) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Intimidators Walk it off in 5-4 Defeat of Braves - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.