Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 3 vs. Greenville (Game 80)
Please note the following New York Mets minor league transactions:
- INF Chandler Avant transferred from Columbia to double-A Binghamton
- INF Walter Rasquin activated from Columbia's injured list
- RHP Christian Tripp transferred to Columbia's injured list
- RHP Cole Gordon transferred to Columbia from short-season A Brooklyn
- LHP Thomas Szapucki transferred from Columbia to advanced-A St. Lucie
- RHP Briam Campusano transferred to Columbia from advanced-A St. Lucie
- RHP Alec Kisena transferred from Columbia to short-season A Brooklyn
- LHP Jake Simon transferred to Columbia from advanced-A St. Lucie
Columbia Fireflies (6-7, 30-49) vs. Greenville Drive (6-7, 38-45)
RHP Tylor Megill (3-0, 1.21) vs. RHP Alex Scherff (3-5, 4.20)
Wed., July 3, 2019 - Segra Park (Columbia, SC) - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 80
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: The Fireflies dropped the middle game of the series to Greenville, 10-4. Columbia out-hit the Drive, 12-10, and four players tallied multi-hit games, but the home team ultimately fell on Tuesday. Relievers Billy Oxford and Allan Winans combined for four scoreless innings out of the bullpen, five strikeouts and no walks.
WHAT'S AT STAKE: Columbia aims to win the series with a victory on Wednesday. It would be the second series win for the Fireflies in their last three (won two of three against Lexington, June 24-26).
RED, WHITE AND BLUE: The Fireflies have been home on the Fourth of July twice in three years. The only other season Columbia celebrated Independence Day at Segra Park one day early (2017), the Fireflies won. On July 3, 2017, in front of a sell-out crowd of 7,559, Columbia shut out the Rome Braves, 1-0. Blake Taylor hurled eight marvelous innings en route to the win. Adonis Uceta then pitched a clean ninth and picked up the save.
BACK, BACK, BACK: Wagner Lagrange did it again. The outfielder homered for a second straight night on Tuesday, this time taking Drive righty Kevin Biondic deep. This is the first time Lagrange has homered in back to back games in his career (283 GP since 2015). The 23-year-old has also notched back-to-back multi-hit games, too.
MAURICIO MAGIC: Among current and qualified South Atlantic League hitters, Ronny Mauricio is third in the league with 85 hits and ninth with a .286 average. The South Atlantic League All-Star is hitting .313 (35-for-112) in 25 games since May 28, which is fourth-best in the SAL among qualified hitters.
MAURICIO MAGIC, Pt. II: Columbia's starting shortstop has also hit safely now in six straight games.
SECOND-HALF SLUGGERS: Best batting averages in the second half:
1. Hayden Senger - .475 (19-for-40), 11 GP, 4 R, 8 2B, 2 HR, 10 RBI, 4 BB, 4 K
2. Wagner Lagrange - .348 (16-for-46), 12 GP, 8 R, 3 2B, 2 HR, 12 RBI
3. Mark Vientos - .326 (14-for-43) 11 GP, 8 R, 6 2B, 1 HR, 12 RBI
FLIP THE CALENDAR: Columbia finished the month of June with a 9-14 mark. The club hit .238, its best average for any month this season. Three Fireflies impressed at the plate in June:
- H. Senger - team-best .345 average, 5 straight multi-hit games: 6/22-6/26
- R. Mauricio - .295 average in 20 games, team-best 26 hits
- M. Vientos - led the team with 15 RBIs in June (20 GP), .263 average
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 3, 2019
- Late-Game Comeback Falls Just Short in 13-11 Loss - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Medina Falters as Dogs Fall in Series Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Red-Hot GreenJackets Take Series from Charleston - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Win on Cluff's Walk-Off Single - Hagerstown Suns
- Sell-Out Crowd of 7,872 Celebrate Independence Day Early with Fireflies Win - Columbia Fireflies
- McConnell's Three-RBI Night Lifts Power to 4-3 Win - West Virginia Power
- Boyd's Grand Slam Highlights July 3rd Win - Asheville Tourists
- 'Claws One-Hit 'Birds, Take Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Silva, Lindow Combine on One-Hit Shutout in 2-0 July 3rd BlueClaws Victory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 3 vs. Greenville (Game 80) - Columbia Fireflies
- Vavra Named Uncle Ray's South Atlantic League Player of the Month - Asheville Tourists
- Game Notes (July 3) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Intimidators Walk it off in 5-4 Defeat of Braves - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.