Mammoth announces 2009 schedule
DENVER - The Colorado Mammoth will begin the 2009 National Lacrosse League season with consecutive games against the Portland LumberJax before facing a group of the National Lacrosse League's best, including West Division newcomer Minnesota.
After games against Portland on back-to-back nights, including the Mammoth's home opener on Jan. 10 at Pepsi Center, the Mammoth plays three of its next four games in Denver. All three will be against division finalists from least season, including the East Division's New York Titans and Minnesota Swarm, and the West's Calgary Roughnecks.
"Four of our first six games are at home and against top teams in the league," Mammoth general manager Steve Govett said. "It gives us a great chance to prove we are an elite team, not only in the West Division but in the NLL.
"Our fans will benefit from having all but one of our home games on Friday or Saturday nights, and we hope to continue our strong play at home, which is directly connected to their outstanding support."
Other highlights of the Mammoth schedule include a late season bout in a home-and-home series against West Division rival San Jose Stealth. The schedule then concludes with a home game against the Calgary Roughnecks, the team that knocked the Mammoth out of the 2008 playoffs.
The 2009 NLL All-Star Game takes place on Saturday, March 7. A host club has been selected for the game and will be announced soon.
Each of the NLL's 14 teams will play 16 regular-season games, eight home and eight away, over 17 weekends. The regular season concludes on Saturday, April 19, with the Champion's Cup Playoffs beginning the next weekend.
The Mammoth finished second in the West Division regular season standings last season and qualified for the playoffs for the sixth consecutive year. The team led the league in attendance for the fourth time, averaging 17,464 fans per home game.
2009 Colorado Mammoth schedule
(All times Mountain)
Day Date Opponent Time
Friday January 9 at Portland 8:30 p.m.
Saturday January 10 PORTLAND 7 p.m.
Saturday January 24 EDMONTON 6 p.m.
Saturday January 31 NEW YORK 7 p.m.
Saturday February 7 at Minnesota 6 p.m.
Saturday February 14 CALGARY 7 p.m.
Sunday February 22 at Edmonton 6 p.m.
Saturday February 28 at Chicago 6 p.m.
Saturday March 14 at San Jose 1:30 p.m.
Saturday March 21 at Calgary 7:30 p.m.
Sunday March 22 MINNESOTA 6 p.m.
Saturday March 28 at Philadelphia 5:30 p.m.
Friday April 3 PORTLAND 7 p.m.
Friday April 10 at San Jose 8:30 p.m.
Saturday April 11 SAN JOSE 7 p.m.
Friday April 17 CALGARY 7 p.m.
Season tickets start at $72 and are on sale now. Single-game tickets start at $5 and will go on sale in December. Call 303.405.1101 or visit ColoradoMammoth.com to order.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from September 2, 2008
- Mammoth announces 2009 schedule - Colorado Mammoth
- Minnesota Swarm Announces Schedule For 2009 Season - Minnesota Swarm
- Toronto Rock Announce 2009 Season Schedule - Toronto Rock
- Boston Blazers Announce 2009 NLL Season Schedule - Boston Blazers
- Buffalo Bandits Announce 2009 Regular Season Schedule - Buffalo Bandits
- Knighthawks Open 2009 Season On December 27th In Chicago - Rochester Knighthawks
- Rochester Knighthawks Name Paul Suggate Head Coach - Rochester Knighthawks
- Jax Open 2009 Schedule On January 3rd - Portland Lumberjax
- Wings 2009 Home Schedule Opens with New Division Rival Boston - Philadelphia Wings
- National Lacrosse League Announces 2009 Season Schedule - NLL
- Boston Blazers Acquire Defenseman Paul Dawson - Boston Blazers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.