Boston Blazers Acquire Defenseman Paul Dawson
Boston (September 2, 2008) - The Boston Blazers announced today that they have acquired defenseman Paul Dawson, the younger brother of Dan Dawson, the team's top pick in the recent National Lacrosse League (NLL) dispersal draft. To obtain the 22-year old Dawson, the Blazers sent forward Peter Veltman to the San Jose Stealth.
"We are excited to have Paul Dawson join the Blazers," said head coach and general manager Tom Ryan. "He adds size and toughness to our team, and at only 22, Paul has a tremendous upside. He is a true gentleman, but early in his career, he has developed a reputation as someone you do not want to mess with on the floor."
Dawson was originally drafted by San Jose as a goaltender in the first round of the 2006 NLL entry draft, the seventh overall pick. Last summer, he switched to defense while playing for the Brampton Excelsiors of Ontario's Major Series Lacrosse league. In 2008, the younger Dawson played in 15 games with the Stealth, recording five assists. In one of his best games of the year, Dawson scored a goal and added an assist in San Jose's semifinal loss to Portland in the NLL playoffs.
Veltman, acquired by the Blazers with the second pick of the June 30 NLL dispersal draft, returns to San Jose where he played nine games in 2008.
The trade to unite the two Dawson brothers was completed as the Boston Blazers prepare to host Blazers Day and the NLL combine on Saturday Sept. 6 at the TD Banknorth Garden. Blazers Day is a full-day, indoor-outdoor fan festival where the team will entertain lacrosse fans of all ages with interactive lacrosse games and exhibits while the NLL conducts its annual combine for the 40 top draft prospects. Blazers Day is open to the public from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and is free of charge. The NLL entry draft will be held at the TD Banknorth Garden on Sunday, Sept. 7 at 11 a.m. The Blazers own the rights to the first overall selection of the draft. For information on Blazers Day, fans can call 1-888-Blazers or visit www.blazersla crosse.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from September 2, 2008
- Mammoth announces 2009 schedule - Colorado Mammoth
- Minnesota Swarm Announces Schedule For 2009 Season - Minnesota Swarm
- Toronto Rock Announce 2009 Season Schedule - Toronto Rock
- Boston Blazers Announce 2009 NLL Season Schedule - Boston Blazers
- Buffalo Bandits Announce 2009 Regular Season Schedule - Buffalo Bandits
- Knighthawks Open 2009 Season On December 27th In Chicago - Rochester Knighthawks
- Rochester Knighthawks Name Paul Suggate Head Coach - Rochester Knighthawks
- Jax Open 2009 Schedule On January 3rd - Portland Lumberjax
- Wings 2009 Home Schedule Opens with New Division Rival Boston - Philadelphia Wings
- National Lacrosse League Announces 2009 Season Schedule - NLL
- Boston Blazers Acquire Defenseman Paul Dawson - Boston Blazers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals