Magic Swat the Swarm in Final Seconds
The Lakeland Magic, NBA G League affiliate of the Orlando Magic, defeat the Greensboro Swarm 112-111 in front of a home crowd at the RP Funding Center.
The Swarm had an 11 point lead in the first but the Magic brought it to within 5 points by the end of the quarter with the Swarm leading 25-20. The Magic tied it up 38-38 with 4:35 remaining in the half on a pullup jump shot by BJ Johnson. Lakeland outscored Greensboro 31-27 in the quarter and it was a one-point game with the score 52-51 at the half.
The Swarm came out strong in the third quarter but the Magic turned up the dial in the fourth. The Magic cut the Swarm lead to just three points on a three-pointer by Josh Magette with 1:16 remaining. BJ Johnson hit a three-pointer with 10.3 left on the clock to cut the lead to two points. Lakeland quickly fouled Simmons and after making one of two the Magic had the ball back down by three points. Josh Magette hit a three-pointer and was fouled with 5.4 left on the clock. He would make the extra point to give the Magic a 112-111 lead. The Swarm couldn't convert on a last-second attempt.
Lakeland was paced with a balanced scoring attack with six players in double figures. BJ Johnson led the team in scoring with 22 points and 5 rebounds. Vic Law posted 20 points on the night. Josh Magette, fresh off a flight from Cleveland, had a double-double with 18 points and 15 rebounds. Hassani Gravette scored 18 points while Michale Kyser had 13 points and 7 rebounds. Isaac Humphries scored 13 points and 8 rebounds.
Assignment player, Cody Martin led the Swarm with an impressive 30 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 assists. Kobi Simmons had 17 points, 5 rebounds, and 7 assists. Thomas Welsh was just shy of a double-double with 14 points and 9 rebounds. Assignment player, Caleb Martin scored 13 points and 8 rebounds. Tyler Nelson came off the bench to contribute 11 points.
The Lakeland Magic are back at home tomorrow night for game two of a back-to-back vs the Swarm. Tip-off at the RP Funding Center is set for 7:00 pm. The game will be available on NBAGLeague.com.
Lakeland Magic single-game tickets and group tickets are available now. For ticket information, visit lakelandmagic.com or call 863.825.3258.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 6, 2019
- Blue Coats Extend Winning Streak to Four in Final Seconds against Capital City - Delaware Blue Coats
- Austin Spurs Defeat Sioux Falls Skyforce 116-107 - Austin Spurs
- Long Island Falls Short to Santa Cruz Despite Late Rally - Long Island Nets
- Magic Swat the Swarm in Final Seconds - Lakeland Magic
- Mad Ants Acquire Tre Kelley - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Stockton Kings Acquire Jalen Reynolds - Stockton Kings
- Healed and Hungry, Tyler Ennis Is Back - Raptors 905
- Greensboro Swarm, Academy Sports + Outdoors Team up for Holiday Shopping Spree for Local Kids - Greensboro Swarm
- Timberwolves Recall Jaylen Nowell from G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Falls to 5-5 with Loss to Agua Caliente - Windy City Bulls
- Stars Defeat Lakers for Seventh-Straight Victory - Salt Lake City Stars
- Clippers End Losing Streak with Win over Bulls - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.