MacLane pitches 'Birds by Rainiers
MEMPHIS, TN - The Memphis offense rallied early and used a strong outing from starting pitcher Evan MacLane to top Tacoma 3-1 Saturday night in front of 11,844 fans at AutoZone Park.
MacLane was sharp in his third win of the year and second in a row pitching into the ninth before departing. The lefty allowed only run on five hits with no walks and five strikeouts over 8.1 innings. After a Chris Woodward single in the ninth, Fernando Salas was summoned from the Redbirds bullpen to record the final two outs and notch his fourth save of the year. Tacoma starter Garrett Olson took the loss giving up three runs on five hits with six strikeouts in six innings. The left-hander allowed only two hits over his final five innings after a shaky first inning.
The Birds offense scored three runs in the first inning with the first four batters all reaching before an out was made. Jim Rapoport led off with a walk and scored on Allen Craig's RBI-single. Amaury Cazana drove in the next run with a single and Kevin Howard's bases loaded walk scored the third run. Rapoport and Cazana each had two hits to lead Memphis. The Rainiers lone run came in the second inning on Greg Halman's third home run of the year.
The Redbirds and Rainiers square off tomorrow with first pitch slated for 1:35 p.m. It will be Breast Cancer Awareness Day presented by Kroger at the park tomorrow afternoon. The Birds will wear pink jerseys with the jerseys being auctioned off in a silent auction. P.J. Walters will make his third start of the season and oppose Tacoma's Luke French. For ticket information call 901.721.6000 or visit memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 15, 2010
- Express Bash Sky Sox 16-4 - Round Rock Express
- Long Night for Sky Sox, Lose to Round Rock, 16-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Fifteen hits leads Sounds to 9-3 victory - Portland Beavers
- Sounds Take Down Beavers In Series Opener, 9-3 - Nashville Sounds
- MacLane pitches 'Birds by Rainiers - Memphis Redbirds
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes for May 15 - Round Rock Express
- Colmenares Reassigned to Arkansas - Salt Lake Bees
- Aces Lose To Royals, 10-7 In Extras - Reno Aces
- Liz stifles Redbirds in rain-delayed contest - Portland Beavers
- Portland pounds Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- 9,123 Fans Jam AutoZone Park for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Triple-A National Champion to be Crowned Tomorrow Night
- Triple-A Baseball, Allegiant Announce Historic On-Field Jersey Partnership
- Redbirds, "I Love Memphis" Partner for $5 Tickets for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Ponce de Leon Named Pacific Coast League Player of the Month