Express Bash Sky Sox 16-4
COLORADO SPRINGS - Jason Bourgeois, Chris Shelton and Oswaldo Navarro each homered in helping the Round Rock Express clobber the Colorado Springs Sky Sox 16-4 Saturday night at Security Service Field. The 16 runs were a season-high for the Express (16-20), as five position players contributed multiple hits in the series-opener against the Sky Sox (18-19).
Bourgeois' two-run homer in the third inning started the scoring for the Express. Shelton added a three-run homer in the fifth and Navarro's three-run homer in the sixth gave the Express a 9-3 lead. Seven runs were plated in the seventh for Round Rock, as three Sky Sox pitched to 11 Express batters.
Bourgeois finished 5-for-6 with four runs scored and four RBI and raised his average to a team-high .348.
Express starter Polin Trinidad (2-1) earned the victory, tossing 6.0 innings, giving up three runs on seven hits with four strikeouts and one walk. T.J. Burton picked up the save (1) with 3.0 innings of relief, allowing a run on five hits with two strikeouts and a walk.
Chaz Roe (1-6) was given the loss, allowing seven runs in 5.1 innings, with nine hits, eight strikeouts and two walks. Edgmer Escalona allowed three runs in 2/3 of an inning and Damian Moss gave up the remaining six runs in 1/3 of inning.
Chris Johnson and Shelton each had three hits, while Matt Kata and Collin DeLome both had two hits.
Shelton's seventh home run of the year ranks him fourth in the Pacific Coast League, with the leader having 10.
Round Rock and Colorado Springs continue their four-game series Sunday with a 2:05 p.m. CDT first pitch at Security Service Field. Right-hander Roy Corcoran (1-5, 2.96) toes the slab for the Express, countered by left-hander Josh Muecke (0-2, 8.53) for the Sky Sox.
The Round Rock Express, owned and operated by Ryan-Sanders Baseball, LP, is the Triple-A affiliate of the Houston Astros and a member of the Pacific Coast League.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 15, 2010
- Express Bash Sky Sox 16-4 - Round Rock Express
- Long Night for Sky Sox, Lose to Round Rock, 16-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Fifteen hits leads Sounds to 9-3 victory - Portland Beavers
- Sounds Take Down Beavers In Series Opener, 9-3 - Nashville Sounds
- MacLane pitches 'Birds by Rainiers - Memphis Redbirds
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes for May 15 - Round Rock Express
- Colmenares Reassigned to Arkansas - Salt Lake Bees
- Aces Lose To Royals, 10-7 In Extras - Reno Aces
- Liz stifles Redbirds in rain-delayed contest - Portland Beavers
- Portland pounds Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express to Host "Kicks and Tricks" Kickball Tournament
- Rodeo Austin to Host New Event with Round Rock Express
- Special Guests Added for Encore Drive-In Night at Dell Diamond
- Koe Wetzel to Perform Live at Dell Diamond on October 16
- Inaugural Tailgates and Tunes Concert Series Relaunched