Aces Lose To Royals, 10-7 In Extras
RENO, Nev.- The Aces held a late 5-3 lead, but Omaha rallied to win the game and salvage a series split, stealing a 10-7 extra-inning victory in front of 7,007 fans Friday night at Aces Ballpark.
With the game tied at three in the fifth inning, the Aces took the lead on a two-run double by Pedro Ciriaco. Reno would hold a two-run lead until the eighth, when Alex Gordon and Scott Thorman hit a pair of solo homers to tie the score. The Aces threatened in the bottom of the ninth, putting two men on with no outs, but couldn't push across the winning run. Omaha exploded for five runs in the ninth and thwarted a furious tenth-inning Aces rally to split the series.
The Aces received a strong outing from a starting pitcher for the third-straight day, as Matt Torra took a no-decision despite throwing 6.1 IP and allowing just three earned runs. T.J. Beam (0-2) took the loss for Reno after allowing all five 10th-inning runs.
Matt Herges (1-1) got the win for the O-Royals after tossing 2.1 innings of relief, and Chris Hayes earned the save after coming in and inducing a game-ending, bases-loaded double play to the first batter he faced.
Ciriaco led the way offensively for Reno, going 2-for-4 with a double, triple and three RBIs. Doug Deeds and Drew Macias chipped in three hits apiece for Reno, who were outhit 18-13 by the O-Royals.
Reno opens a four-game set with the Iowa Cubs beginning Saturday evening at 7:05 p.m. The Aces will send RHP Josh Collmenter (1-0, 2.12 ERA) to the hill to square-off against Iowa RHP Mitch Atkins (2-1, 2.70 ERA). The Aces will give away 2,500 Brett Butler commemorative t-shirts, courtesy of Terrible's Casinos and KRNV.
Tickets for all Aces games start at just $7, and are available by calling the Reno Aces box office at (775) 334-7000 or by visiting RenoAces.com. The brand-new Freight House District, located just outside Aces Ballpark, is open seven days a week, on both gamedays and non-gamedays.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 15, 2010
- Express Bash Sky Sox 16-4 - Round Rock Express
- Long Night for Sky Sox, Lose to Round Rock, 16-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Fifteen hits leads Sounds to 9-3 victory - Portland Beavers
- Sounds Take Down Beavers In Series Opener, 9-3 - Nashville Sounds
- MacLane pitches 'Birds by Rainiers - Memphis Redbirds
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes for May 15 - Round Rock Express
- Colmenares Reassigned to Arkansas - Salt Lake Bees
- Aces Lose To Royals, 10-7 In Extras - Reno Aces
- Liz stifles Redbirds in rain-delayed contest - Portland Beavers
- Portland pounds Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada
- Aces Tickets On-Sale Now, Promotional Schedule Released