MacIver and Vavra Homer in the Ninth; Tourists Walk Off
ASHEVILLE- The Asheville Tourists are in a pretty incredible stretch. Asheville has won their last three games all on walk-off hits. On Sunday afternoon the Tourists trailed the Rome Braves 7-6 entering the bottom of the ninth. Terrin Vavra led off the frame with a game-tying Home Run and three batters later Willie MacIver hit a two-run Home Run to give Asheville the win 9-7.
Asheville walked off in all three of their wins this series. The walk-off on Sunday was Asheville's eighth of the season. MacIver's walk-off Home Run was just the second walk-off long ball this year; the other came on Greg Jones' Grand Slam on July 1.
The Tourists went to work early off Rome's starter Jose Olague. Asheville plated three runs in the first inning that included RBI hits from Coco Montes and MacIver. Vavra knocked in a run in the second with a double and Kyle Datres drove in a run in the third with a double down the left field line. MacIver added an RBI single in the fifth as well.
Rome managed to hang close despite Asheville's early offense. The Braves tied the score on three separate occasions before taking their first lead in the eighth. Asheville finished with 16 hits in the game. Vavra, Montes, MacIver, and Datres all had three-hit games. Niko Decolati added two hits to the mix.
Alexander Martinez earned the win with a scoreless top of the ninth. Colten Harlow and Raymells Rosa combined to chew up three innings out of Asheville's bullpen.
Next up for the Tourists is a seven-game road trip that begins on Tuesday night at Greensboro.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 21, 2019
- Long Deals and Leads Kannapolis to 4-2 Victory - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Destino's Blast Helps Lift Intimidators to Series Win over Lakewood - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Greensboro Avoids Sweep, Beat Jackets 6-3 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crooked Numbers Doom Dogs in Series Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Greenville Clubs Columbia, 16-5, in Offensive Onslaught - Greenville Drive
- Kannapolis Holds off Late Claws Rally, Win 5-4 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Ferguson, Bullpen Carry 'Birds in Eleven - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Hit Back to Back Homers for First Time in 2019 - Columbia Fireflies
- MacIver and Vavra Homer in the Ninth; Tourists Walk Off - Asheville Tourists
- Power Drop Series Finale 3-2 in 11 Innings - West Virginia Power
- Ninth-Inning Rally Sinks Suns - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 21 at Greenville (Game 97) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 21) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.