Power Drop Series Finale 3-2 in 11 Innings
CHARLESTON, W. Va. - Bobby Honeyman's three hit day and Ryne Inman's quality start were not enough as the Power fell to Delmarva, 3-2, in 11 innings Sunday afternoon at Appalachian Power Park.
For the fourth time in the series, West Virginia (15-16, 52-49) got the scoring started in the first, as Ryan Ramiz reached on an error that pushed him to second and Honeyman rocked a base hit to center to score the run. Honeyman's single extended his hitting streak to 17 games and gave the Power a 1-0 lead.
Inman dominated early in his outing, surrendering just two hits through his first five frames. Meanwhile, Ryan Wilson settled down after the run in the first inning and hurled three scoreless frames. In the fifth, West Virginia extended its lead to 2-0 when Matt Sanders scorched a single into center field that plated Manny Pazos from second.
Delmarva (21-10, 69-31) finally broke through against Inman in the sixth, as Jaylen Ferguson tripled with two outs and scored a batter later on a Robert Neustrom single. Inman finished with six innings of work, nine strikeouts and only one run allowed. Logan Rinehart entered in the seventh and retired the Shorebirds in order to send the matchup into stretch time.
In the eighth, three Delmarva base hits and a Ferguson RBI single off Rinehart tied the ballgame at two. The Shorebirds then sent Felix Bautista to the hill in the bottom of the eighth, who retired six of the seven Power batters that he faced to put the game into extras.
Kyle Hill (1-1) came on for the 10th and struck out two batters while keeping the placed-on runner from advancing in a scoreless inning. However, West Virginia's lineup could not score the winning run off Reed Hayes (2-0) in the bottom of the frame.
Delmarva struck for a run in the top of the 11th when Ferguson knocked a single up the middle, and that was all the Shorebirds needed. Julio Rodriguez was the placed on runner in the bottom half, and, despite moving him to third, the Power were silenced by Ruben Garcia (S,1) for a 3-2 Delmarva win.
After an off day Monday, the Power hits the road for a three-game series against the Hickory Crawdads Tuesday night at LP Frans Stadium, with first pitch set for 7:00 p.m. RHP Devin Sweet (4-4, 3.17 ERA) toes the slab for West Virginia, while Hickory has not yet named a starter. Pregame coverage begins at 6:40 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
The Power returns to Appalachian Power Park on July 31 for another seven-game homestand that welcomes the Rome Braves and Greensboro Grasshoppers to town. Some highlights of the homestand include CAMC Night on Friday, August 2, and Back to School Night on Saturday, August 3. The Power will sport special 'Hot Shot' jerseys on Friday that will be auctioned off with proceeds going to the CAMC Foundation and benefitting local causes in the Kanawha Valley. Saturday, the first 1,000 fans can receive a limited edition backpack as a part of Back to School Night, presented by Todd Judy Ford. For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 21, 2019
- Long Deals and Leads Kannapolis to 4-2 Victory - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Destino's Blast Helps Lift Intimidators to Series Win over Lakewood - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Greensboro Avoids Sweep, Beat Jackets 6-3 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crooked Numbers Doom Dogs in Series Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Greenville Clubs Columbia, 16-5, in Offensive Onslaught - Greenville Drive
- Kannapolis Holds off Late Claws Rally, Win 5-4 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Ferguson, Bullpen Carry 'Birds in Eleven - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Hit Back to Back Homers for First Time in 2019 - Columbia Fireflies
- MacIver and Vavra Homer in the Ninth; Tourists Walk Off - Asheville Tourists
- Power Drop Series Finale 3-2 in 11 Innings - West Virginia Power
- Ninth-Inning Rally Sinks Suns - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 21 at Greenville (Game 97) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 21) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.