Louisville Bats Notes
Game 125, Home 63
Rochester Red Wings (62-62) at Louisville Bats (53-71)
RHP Keury Mella (8-11, 4.75) vs. RHP Randy Dobnak (4-1, 2.00)
2:00 PM | Sunday, August 18, 2019 | Louisville Slugger Field
LISTEN: Nick Curran & Jim Kelch, 790 KRD; iHeartRadio.com; iHeart app
TODAY'S GAME: The Louisville Bats and Rochester Red Wings play the rubber match of a three-game series at Louisville Slugger Field in the Bats' final non-divisional game of the 2019 season. Last night, Louisville won in walk-off fashion for the fifth time this season, doing it once in April, May, June, July and now, August. Right-hander Keury Mella will lead the Bats into battle as they go for their sixth series win in their last 10.
AGAINST ROCHESTER: Louisville comes into play today with an 18-18 record against the IL North Division, including a 9-8 home record. The Bats also come into play with a 3-2 mark against Rochester this season, looking to defeat them in a series for a fourth straight time, dating back to last season. The last time LOU won 4 consecutive series against an opponent was against Norfolk, which spanned from June 14, 2013 to May 20, 2015.
BEST IN THE WEST: In 35 games since the All-Star break, the Bats own a 20-15 record and +23 run differential, both of which rank best in their division. Louisville is 6-3 over its last 9 games.
IL West in the Second Half
Club W-L Pct. R/RA Diff.
LOUISVILLE 20-15 .571 167/144 +23
Toledo 16-19 .457 189/180 +9
Indianapolis 16-20 .444 157/191 -34
Columbus 16-20 .444 170/189 -19
ASTOUND ON THE MOUND: Since July 1, the Bats own the lowest ERA (3.73) in the league. For reference, the league's ERA since that date is 4.83 (2,784er/5,191.1ip).
Lowest Earned Run Average (Since July 1)
LOUISVILLE 3.73 155er/373.2ip
Gwinnett 3.80 155er/367.0ip
Syracuse 4.16 168er/363.1ip
R2 PLAYS THE HERO: Outfielder Rob Refsnyder went 3-for-5 with a walk-off single in the bottom of the 10th, continuing his hot streak. In his last 7 games, he is batting .464 (13-for-28) with 2 doubles, one home run and 4 RBI.
- It was Refsnyder's first walk-off hit since July 4, 2014, when he hit a three-run homer in the ninth for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in a 7-6 win over Buffalo. The homer was hit off Bisons reliever and 2016 Louisville Bat, Steve Delabar.
1,000 STRIKEOUTS: Going into Sunday, Louisville pitchers have struck out 991 opposing hitters. The Bats are on the verge of recording 1,000 strikeouts in 4 straight seasons for the first time in franchise history, previously doing it in 3 straight seasons from 2008-10. The 2017 Bats pitching staff holds the franchise record with 1,129 strikeouts.
600 RUNS: Louisville scored its 600th run of the season when Mitch Nay hit a solo homer in the bottom of the fifth to give the Bats a 1-0 lead. It's the first time since the 2011 season that LOU has crossed the 600-run mark.
EXTRA INNING WIN: The Bats improved to 6-7 this season in extra innings after Saturday night's 2-1 win. LOU has won 3 of its last 4 extra inning games, and have outscored their opponents 14-12 on the year in extras. The 2018 Bats finished 7-6 in extra inning contests.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Pitching, Power Lead Knights Past Clippers 8-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Tribe Walk-Off After Five-Run Comeback - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Slam Bats Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Kivlehan Homers Twice, But Herd Falls, 10-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians hit walk-off single in 10th - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Triple-A career-day for INF Mandy Alvarez as 5 RBI paces RailRiders offense - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers Allow 16 Hits in 9-3 Loss to Scranton - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cameron Hits Game-Winning Home Run - Toledo Mud Hens
- Mets Sweep Tides, 9-5, for Fifth Straight Win - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Take Lead Early But Fall to Red Wings, 12-1 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Come from Behind to Take Series Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Outfielder Forrest Wall Promoted to Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-64) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (60-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Durham (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.