Louisville Bats Notes
Game 125, Home 63
Rochester Red Wings (62-62) at Louisville Bats (53-71)
RHP Keury Mella (8-11, 4.75) vs. RHP Randy Dobnak (4-1, 2.00)
2:00 PM | Sunday, August 18, 2019 | Louisville Slugger Field
LISTEN: Nick Curran & Jim Kelch, 790 KRD; iHeartRadio.com; iHeart app
TODAY'S GAME: The Louisville Bats and Rochester Red Wings play the rubber match of a three-game series at Louisville Slugger Field in the Bats' final non-divisional game of the 2019 season. Last night, Louisville won in walk-off fashion for the fifth time this season, doing it once in April, May, June, July and now, August. Right-hander Keury Mella will lead the Bats into battle as they go for their sixth series win in their last 10.
AGAINST ROCHESTER: Louisville comes into play today with an 18-18 record against the IL North Division, including a 9-8 home record. The Bats also come into play with a 3-2 mark against Rochester this season, looking to defeat them in a series for a fourth straight time, dating back to last season. The last time LOU won 4 consecutive series against an opponent was against Norfolk, which spanned from June 14, 2013 to May 20, 2015.
BEST IN THE WEST: In 35 games since the All-Star break, the Bats own a 20-15 record and +23 run differential, both of which rank best in their division. Louisville is 6-3 over its last 9 games.
IL West in the Second Half
Club W-L Pct. R/RA Diff.
LOUISVILLE 20-15 .571 167/144 +23
Toledo 16-19 .457 189/180 +9
Indianapolis 16-20 .444 157/191 -34
Columbus 16-20 .444 170/189 -19
ASTOUND ON THE MOUND: Since July 1, the Bats own the lowest ERA (3.73) in the league. For reference, the league's ERA since that date is 4.83 (2,784er/5,191.1ip).
Lowest Earned Run Average (Since July 1)
LOUISVILLE 3.73 155er/373.2ip
Gwinnett 3.80 155er/367.0ip
Syracuse 4.16 168er/363.1ip
R2 PLAYS THE HERO: Outfielder Rob Refsnyder went 3-for-5 with a walk-off single in the bottom of the 10th, continuing his hot streak. In his last 7 games, he is batting .464 (13-for-28) with 2 doubles, one home run and 4 RBI.
- It was Refsnyder's first walk-off hit since July 4, 2014, when he hit a three-run homer in the ninth for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in a 7-6 win over Buffalo. The homer was hit off Bisons reliever and 2016 Louisville Bat, Steve Delabar.
1,000 STRIKEOUTS: Going into Sunday, Louisville pitchers have struck out 991 opposing hitters. The Bats are on the verge of recording 1,000 strikeouts in 4 straight seasons for the first time in franchise history, previously doing it in 3 straight seasons from 2008-10. The 2017 Bats pitching staff holds the franchise record with 1,129 strikeouts.
600 RUNS: Louisville scored its 600th run of the season when Mitch Nay hit a solo homer in the bottom of the fifth to give the Bats a 1-0 lead. It's the first time since the 2011 season that LOU has crossed the 600-run mark.
EXTRA INNING WIN: The Bats improved to 6-7 this season in extra innings after Saturday night's 2-1 win. LOU has won 3 of its last 4 extra inning games, and have outscored their opponents 14-12 on the year in extras. The 2018 Bats finished 7-6 in extra inning contests.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Pitching, Power Lead Knights Past Clippers 8-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Tribe Walk-Off After Five-Run Comeback - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Slam Bats Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Kivlehan Homers Twice, But Herd Falls, 10-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians hit walk-off single in 10th - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Triple-A career-day for INF Mandy Alvarez as 5 RBI paces RailRiders offense - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers Allow 16 Hits in 9-3 Loss to Scranton - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cameron Hits Game-Winning Home Run - Toledo Mud Hens
- Mets Sweep Tides, 9-5, for Fifth Straight Win - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Take Lead Early But Fall to Red Wings, 12-1 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Come from Behind to Take Series Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Outfielder Forrest Wall Promoted to Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-64) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (60-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Durham (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville Bats Stories
- Stephenson, Aquino Surge for Cincinnati
- Bats Nominated for MiLB's Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award
- Tejay Antone Named International League Pitcher of the Week
- Bats Drop Final Game of Season to Indians, 4-0
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80)