Long Island Drops Matinee to Fort Wayne in Brooklyn
LONG ISLAND - The Long Island Nets (21-11), the NBA G League affiliate of the Brooklyn Nets, fell to the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (17-15) 140-119 in front of a franchise-record crowd of 5,264 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
Brooklyn guard/forward Dzanan Musa registered a game-high 26 points along with six rebounds, six assists and two steals in 29 minutes while on assignment with Long Island. Brooklyn forward Mitch Creek, who signed a second 10-day contract with Brooklyn this morning, logged 15 points, five rebounds, three assists and two steals in 30 minutes while also on assignment with Long Island. Long Island forward Drew Gordon registered a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds along with two assists in 21 minutes off the bench.
Despite the early morning start, the scoring came early and often. Fort Wayne came out shooting right from the jump, scoring 40 points in the opening period with the Nets right behind them with 30 points themselves. Mad Ants forward Stephan Hicks led all scorers in the opening period, putting up double digits in the quarter alone with 11 points.
Fort Wayne continued to hit from the field and put up 34 points in the second quarter, taking a 16-point lead heading into halftime by a score of 74-58.
The Mad Ants added to their lead in the third quarter, taking a 110-83 27-point lead into the fourth. The Nets began to chip away in the fourth, but the lead proved too great and Long Island fell to Fort Wayne by a score of 140-119.
Indiana forward Alize Johnson put up a double-double with 23 points and 10 rebounds to go with five assists and two steals in 35 minutes while on assignment with Fort Wayne. Mad Ants guard Rob Gray led the team with 25 points off the bench and added two rebounds, five assists, a steal and a block to his ledger in 27 minutes of action.
Long Island will head to Delaware to take on the Blue Coats on Thursday, Feb. 7, at 7 p.m. ET, while the Mad Ants will return home to take on the Capital City Go-Go on Thursday, Feb. 7, at 11 a.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 4, 2019
- Hustle Snap Losing Streak, Win Tight Game against the Clippers - Memphis Hustle
- Drive Top Herd for Second Straight W - Grand Rapids Drive
- Legends Acquire Nate Mason - Texas Legends
- Terrence Jones Named NBA G League Player of the Week - Erie BayHawks
- Mad Ants Scorch Nets in Brooklyn - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Long Island Drops Matinee to Fort Wayne in Brooklyn - Long Island Nets
- Houston Rockets Assign Forward Gary Clark to Rio Grande Valley Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Austin Spurs Acquire Travis Bader - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Nets Stories
- Theo Pinson and Alan Williams Selected to Midseason All-NBA G League East Team
- Mitch Creek Rejoins Long Island Nets
- Suspended Game Between Long Island Nets and Erie BayHawks Rescheduled for March 13
- Long Island Drops Matinee to Fort Wayne in Brooklyn
- Long Island Nets Acquire Kevin Olekaibe