Lemurs Get to Miller Again in Comeback Win
LAREDO, Texas - All nine Grand Prairie AirHogs had at least one hit and Laredo Lemurs starting pitcher Tony Butler only recorded one out - usually a recipe for success. But the Lemurs bullpen allowed only three runs in 8 2/3 innings and they came back with two big innings - including scoring four off Adam Miller for the second time in a week, as Laredo came back to beat the AirHogs 8-6 on Friday in the series opener at Uni-Trade Stadium.
Grand Prairie (44-35) got three in the first off Butler and Leonard Giammanco on only one hit, and Lemurs manager Pete Incaviglia was ejected after continuing an argument on a close play at first that went against his leadoff hitter, Stephen Douglas, in the bottom of the first.
The AirHogs added single runs in the second and third, and John Brownell worked around two hits in each of those two innings with the help of two double plays, and things looked rosy for Brownell's first win in more than a month.
But Laredo (35-43) got a run on a sacrifice fly in the fourth and John Allen hit a three-run home run in the fifth to pull the Lemurs to within one.
Jairo Perez's double put the AirHogs back up by two in the sixth, but Miller could not get out of the seventh.
A single and a walk began the frame, before the righty struck out Allen and Javier Brito. But with an 0-2 count, Uriak Marquez lined a single to left for a run, and after Brian Peterson walked on a close 3-2 pitch, Stephen Pearson lined a two-run single to right to put the Lemurs on top for the first time. Anthony Scelfo's cue shot up the third-base line off Ronnie Morales brought in another run, and the AirHogs could not do anything against Chaz Roe and Mike Benacka, with the latter picking up his seventh save of the season.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 10, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Diablos Rally From Seven Down, Win Wild One Over Sioux City - El Paso Diablos
- Lemurs Come From Behind to Win - Laredo Lemurs
- Pheasants Fall in Extras to Fargo-Moorhead - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Lemurs Get to Miller Again in Comeback Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Short-Handed Wingnuts Rebound in Winnipeg - Wichita Wingnuts
- Lowey Too Much for Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Pile on Early and Cruise to Victory - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Kolb's Four-Hit Night Leads 'Cats to Fifth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Aint No Offense for St. Paul in 2-0 Loss to Sox - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Release Tomochika Tsuboi, Sign Rookie Outfielder - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Trade for League's Leading Slugger - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Sox gearing up for upcoming three-game series - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Saints to Induct Al Avila into Professional Baseball Scouts Hall of Fame - St. Paul Saints
- Ep Diablos August 10 - Aug 12 Promotions - El Paso Diablos
- Explorers Tee off on Ex-Mate to Salvage Series - Grand Prairie AirHogs
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs