Explorers Tee off on Ex-Mate to Salvage Series
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - For the second time this season, the Grand Prairie AirHogs acquired a starting pitcher, only to watch him lose his AirHogs debut to his prior team. This time it was lefty Alain Quijano, who allowed a season-high nine runs on a season-high 12 hits to his former club, the Sioux City Explorers, who beat the AirHogs 10-4 at QuikTrip Park on Thursday.
The win salvaged a win in the last game of the season series for the Explorers (35-43) in their sixth and final game of the season against Grand Prairie (44-34), which allowed 10 runs at home for the first time in 2012.
Quijano (3-7) got a double play to help have a three-batter inning, but gave up three singles and a double in the second as Sioux City took a 3-0 lead.
In the bottom of the inning, The AirHogs got four straight singles off Jason Jarvis (5-8), but one of them hit Trent Lockwood running from first to second for the first out, and Yasutsugu Nishimoto bounced into a 4-6-3 double play as Grand Prairie was held to one run in the frame.
Sioux City went down in order in the third, but Yusuke Inoguchi hit an RBI triple to make it 4-1 in the fourth, and Adrian Martinez hit a run-scoring double to put the X's up by four. Quijano, who had allowed only three home runs this season with Sioux City, then allowed a pair of two-run home runs in the fifth as he was knocked out of the game, and Sioux City blew it open.
The AirHogs only mustered single runs in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings and could not string together enough hits for a big frame, as Jarvis, Chuck Lukanen and Andrew Snowdon finished Grand Prairie off.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 10, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Diablos Rally From Seven Down, Win Wild One Over Sioux City - El Paso Diablos
- Lemurs Come From Behind to Win - Laredo Lemurs
- Pheasants Fall in Extras to Fargo-Moorhead - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Lemurs Get to Miller Again in Comeback Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Short-Handed Wingnuts Rebound in Winnipeg - Wichita Wingnuts
- Lowey Too Much for Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Pile on Early and Cruise to Victory - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Kolb's Four-Hit Night Leads 'Cats to Fifth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Aint No Offense for St. Paul in 2-0 Loss to Sox - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Release Tomochika Tsuboi, Sign Rookie Outfielder - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Trade for League's Leading Slugger - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Sox gearing up for upcoming three-game series - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Saints to Induct Al Avila into Professional Baseball Scouts Hall of Fame - St. Paul Saints
- Ep Diablos August 10 - Aug 12 Promotions - El Paso Diablos
- Explorers Tee off on Ex-Mate to Salvage Series - Grand Prairie AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs