Legion FC to Host West Chester United in First US Open Cup Match
BIRMINGHAM, AL - Birmingham Legion FC is set to return to BBVA Compass Field for matches May 11 at 7:00 PM CT versus two-time defending USL champion Louisville City FC and the club's first-ever U.S. Open Cup match on Wednesday, May 15 and 7:00 PM CT against West Chester United SC. Special 'WINSday' (on Wednesday) ticketing promotions will include opportunities for season ticket holders and those buying tickets to the May 11 match to access complimentary seats to the May 15 Open Cup fixture.
The Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, recognized as U.S. Soccer's National Championship, is an annual competition open to all amateur and professional soccer teams affiliated with U.S. Soccer. The tournament has crowned a champion for 105 consecutive years dating from 1914. In 1999, the competition was renamed to honor American soccer pioneer Lamar Hunt.
The Third Round, set for May 29, will pit the 22 Second Round winners against one another in regionally determined action, with the opportunity on the line to face a Division I club in the Fourth Round on June 12 when Major League Soccer teams enter the competition.
Home teams for each round of the tournament are determined by a random selection process among those clubs that have applied to host and whose venues meet the minimum tournament requirements. Every game of the 2019 U.S. Open Cup from the First Round through the Final will be available for fans to watch on ESPN+.
This year's winning team will receive $300,000, a berth in the 2020 Concacaf Champions League and have its name engraved on the historic Dewar Challenge Trophy, one of the oldest nationally contested trophies in American team sports. The runner-up will earn $100,000, while the team that advances the furthest from each lower division will take home a $25,000 cash prize.
The Houston Dynamo is the defending U.S. Open Cup champion, having earned the club's first tournament title with a 3-0 victory against the Philadelphia Union on Sept. 26, 2018 at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston.
Ticket information: Everyone wins on WINSday
All Legion FC season ticket packages include complementary tickets to this match, as the seats will not be counted against one of the 19 guaranteed matches. Season ticket holders may purchase additional tickets to the U.S. Open Cup fixture through their on-line account or by calling their Legion FC ticket representative.
Fans buying (and those who have already purchased) tickets to the Legion FC match on May 11 versus Louisville City FC, will also receive an equal number of complimentary tickets for the May 15 match. All single-game tickets are available for sale at bhmlegion.com/tickets and via the Legion FC app. For any questions or concerns, please contact the Legion FC Ticket Office at 205-600-4635 or email@example.com.
'WINSday' special promotions will come into play for all Legion FC matches played on Wednesdays this season.
West Chester United SC
West Chester United SC reached the second round of Open Cup play, advancing through a shootout, following a 1-1 draw with FC Baltimore Christos Tuesday night. West Chester was founded in 1976 and currently compete in the Keystone Conference in the Northeast Region of the National Premier Soccer League (NPSL). The club finished third in their conference in the 2018 season, but has not yet kicked off the league competition this year. The club is led by head coach Blaise Santangelo.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 8, 2019
- Gameday: Rowdies Visit Nashville SC - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 10 - USL
- Fury FC Secures Hard-Fought Point against New York Red Bulls II in Annual School Day Game - Ottawa Fury FC
- Neill Collins Named USL Championship Coach of the Month - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Neill Collins Earns Coach of the Month Award - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Tampa Bay's Collins Voted Championship's Coach of the Month - USL
- Behind Enemy Lines: Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- Highway 99 Derby Tonight at Chukchansi Park - Fresno FC
- Legion FC to Host West Chester United in First US Open Cup Match - Birmingham Legion FC
- Guillermo Benitez and Wesly Decas Named to 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Squads - Atlanta United 2
- San Antonio FC to Host Laredo Heat SC in U.S. Open Cup Second Round on May 14 - San Antonio FC
- Valhalla Tickets Joins USL's Preferred Supplier Program - USL
- Daniel Johnson Makes USL Championship Team of the Week - Birmingham Legion FC
- CBSC Appoint David Proctor as Boys Director of Coaching - Charleston Battery
- Nashville SC to Play South Georgia Tormenta FC 2 in U.S. Open Cup - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Legion FC Stories
- Hoffman to Miss Remainder of Season with PCL Rupture
- Legion FC Wins Tight Contest vs. North Carolina FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. North Carolina FC - Saturday, July 13
- Legion FC Falls at Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Legion FC Drops Road Contest at Indy Eleven