Highway 99 Derby Tonight at Chukchansi Park
Still the last undefeated team in the USL Western Conference, Fresno FC looks to extend that streak against its nearest rival, Sacramento Republic FC, on Wednesday, May 8th when the two teams kickoff at 7:30 p.m. at Chukchansi Park. It is billed to be a hot Highway 99 Derby as former Sacramento Republic FC assistant coach Adam Smith looks for his second win against his old club. Former Republic FC products on the Fresno FC roster include forward Christian Chaney and center back Mickey Daly. Fresno connections on the Republic FC roster include forward Villyan Bijev (Edison HS/Buchanan HS) and defender Elliott Hord (Fresno Fuego/Bullard HS/UC Davis).
Los Zorros (3W-0L-4D, 6th place, 13 points) are coming off an impressive 4-2 comeback road victory against Real Monarchs that saw Fresno native Christian Chaney score for the second straight game. Chaney scored twice against Real Monarchs, and also scored the team's first goal in a 2-2 draw against Orange County SC in Week 7. New midfielder Jackson leads the club in assists with four. Fresno FC continues to be one of the best defensive clubs in the league, with a 6-plus goal differential that ranks second in the conference and has allowed just six goals for the third-lowest in the West. Fresno currently sits in sixth place in the 18-team Western Conference with 13 points, just four behind front-runner New Mexico United, with two games in hand. Sacramento (3-3-2, 12th place, 11 points) has dropped three of its last five games and looks to bounce back from a 4-2 loss at Las Vegas Lights over the weekend.
Sacramento Republic FC leads the all-time series with Fresno FC 2W-1L-0D, with both wins coming by way of 1-0 results on June 13 at Chukchansi Park and August 4 at Papa Murphy's Park in Sacramento. Fresno FC won the second of three meetings last season - a 2-0 victory that saw goals from Juan Pablo Caffa and Franck Tayou.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 8, 2019
- Gameday: Rowdies Visit Nashville SC - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 10 - USL
- Fury FC Secures Hard-Fought Point against New York Red Bulls II in Annual School Day Game - Ottawa Fury FC
- Neill Collins Named USL Championship Coach of the Month - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Neill Collins Earns Coach of the Month Award - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Tampa Bay's Collins Voted Championship's Coach of the Month - USL
- Behind Enemy Lines: Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- Highway 99 Derby Tonight at Chukchansi Park - Fresno FC
- Legion FC to Host West Chester United in First US Open Cup Match - Birmingham Legion FC
- Guillermo Benitez and Wesly Decas Named to 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Squads - Atlanta United 2
- San Antonio FC to Host Laredo Heat SC in U.S. Open Cup Second Round on May 14 - San Antonio FC
- Valhalla Tickets Joins USL's Preferred Supplier Program - USL
- Daniel Johnson Makes USL Championship Team of the Week - Birmingham Legion FC
- CBSC Appoint David Proctor as Boys Director of Coaching - Charleston Battery
- Nashville SC to Play South Georgia Tormenta FC 2 in U.S. Open Cup - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Fresno Football Club Issues Official Statement
- No. 3 Fresno FC vs. No. 6 El Paso Locomotive FC Playoff Preview
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview