Neill Collins Named USL Championship Coach of the Month
TAMPA, Fla. - The Tampa Bay Rowdies' Neill Collins has been voted the USL Championship's Coach of the Month for April after maintaining his club's undefeated start to the season that has it in contention for first place in the Eastern Conference.
Collins entered his first full season as the Rowdies' Head Coach this year and has led the team to an undefeated record through its first nine games of the season. The former center back has built the best defense in the league, with the Rowdies entering Wednesday night's game against Nashville SC (8 p.m. ET | ESPN2) with more shutouts (5) than goals conceded (4) in league play.
"I'm very thankful to receive this recognition but all the credit goes to the players and all the backroom staff," said Collins. "Everyone has put in so much hard work every day behind the scenes that goes unnoticed but is vital in what we are trying to build at the Rowdies. We've not reached our full potential yet and we look forward to continuing to grow as a club as the season progresses."
Collins received 71 percent of the poll to claim the award ahead of Rio Grande Valley FC's Gerson Echeverry, who received 12 percent of the ballot as led his side to an undefeated month in April that catapulted the Toros into the Western Conference's playoff positions.
The USL Championship's Coach of the Month award is voted upon by the USL Championship National Media Panel and the USL Championship Technical Committee, with each group responsible for 50 percent of the overall vote.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 8, 2019
- Gameday: Rowdies Visit Nashville SC - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 10 - USL
- Fury FC Secures Hard-Fought Point against New York Red Bulls II in Annual School Day Game - Ottawa Fury FC
- Neill Collins Named USL Championship Coach of the Month - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Neill Collins Earns Coach of the Month Award - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Tampa Bay's Collins Voted Championship's Coach of the Month - USL
- Behind Enemy Lines: Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- Highway 99 Derby Tonight at Chukchansi Park - Fresno FC
- Legion FC to Host West Chester United in First US Open Cup Match - Birmingham Legion FC
- Guillermo Benitez and Wesly Decas Named to 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Squads - Atlanta United 2
- San Antonio FC to Host Laredo Heat SC in U.S. Open Cup Second Round on May 14 - San Antonio FC
- Valhalla Tickets Joins USL's Preferred Supplier Program - USL
- Daniel Johnson Makes USL Championship Team of the Week - Birmingham Legion FC
- CBSC Appoint David Proctor as Boys Director of Coaching - Charleston Battery
- Nashville SC to Play South Georgia Tormenta FC 2 in U.S. Open Cup - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tampa Bay Rowdies Stories
- Rowdies to Meet Orlando City in Closed-Door Scrimmage February 12
- Chad Burt and Eric Rudland Join Rowdies Technical Staff
- Rowdies Acquire Louis Lomas on Loan from Norwich City FC
- Rowdies Launch WPSL Team in Partnership with Pinellas County United SC
- Rowdies Partner with Chargers SC for USL League Two Team