Legends Walk It off in Series Finale over Intimidators
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends took the series over the Kannapolis Intimidators with a 3-2 walk off victory in the bottom of the 11th inning. The Legends now improve to 52-50 while the Intimidators drop to 45-57.
The Legends were first to strike in the bottom of the first inning. Rudy Martin lined a leadoff double down the right field line. He then came around to score on an RBI single to centerfield by Nate Eaton and Lexington led, 1-0.
Kannapolis took the lead in the top of the seventh inning. Alex Destino led off the inning with a single down the right field line. An RBI double to the right field corner by Lenyn Sosa drove home Destino and the game was tied, 1-1. With Sosa at second, Cameron Simmons drove him home with a single to right centerfield and Kannapolis led, 2-1.
Lexington tied the game in the bottom of the ninth inning. Reed Rohlman led off with a groundball to the third baseman who committed a throwing error, allowing Rohlman to reach second base. Rohlman then advanced to third on an infield single by John Rave. A sacrifice fly by Brhet Brewley plated Rohlman and the game was tied, 2-2.
In the bottom of the 11th inning, Rohlman was placed at second base as the Pace of Play Runner. Nate Eaton was then intentionally walked then the Legends loaded the bases with a single by John Rave. Brhet Bewley then hit a groundball down the third base line which went between the third baseman and short stop allowing Rohlman to score.
Jaret Hellinger was awarded the win tossing 3.0 perfect innings while striking out one. Wyatt Burns was given the loss allowing the game winning run for the Legends.
The Legends next welcome in the Augusta GreenJackets beginning tomorrow, July 26 at 7:05pm.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Lexington Legends pitcher Zach Haake
Lexington Legends celebrate a walk-off win
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 25, 2019
- Jackets Stay Hot, Win 3rd Consecutive Series - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Quell 'Birds, Salvage Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Walk It off in Series Finale over Intimidators - Lexington Legends
- RiverDogs Hold off Claws 4-3 on Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Double-Header Sweep Headlined by Bush's CG - Asheville Tourists
- Pivotal Series Win Eludes Columbia on Thursday - Columbia Fireflies
- Contreras Turns in Quality Outing as Dogs Avoid Sweep in Lakewood - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Dads Fall 3-2 to Power in Close Contest - Hickory Crawdads
- Nevarez's Blast Pushes Power to 3-2 Win in Finale - West Virginia Power
- Tenth Inning Miscue Prods Suns to Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 25 V. Augusta (Game 100) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs' Gil and Vizcaino Called up to Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: Harrer's Simple Approach Pays Off - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Hagerstown Evens Series with 6-1 Win over Rome - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Legends Clinch Back-To-Back South Atlantic League Championships with Late Inning Theatrics
- Hickory Hands Lexington First Playoff Loss
- Legends Headed Back to SAL Championship Series
- Lexington's Emma Tiedemann Named SAL Media Relations Director of the Year
- Lexington Powers Down West Virginia with Doubleheader Sweep