Legends Walk It off in Extras over Power
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends split the series with the West Virginia Power on a walk off hit by Chris Hudgins. With the 6-5 victory in the 10th inning, the Legends improve to 43-44 on the season while West Virginia drops to 46-42.
Lexington was the first to strike in the bottom of the second inning. Back-to-back hits by Eric Cole and Reed Rohlman, coupled by a walk by Brhet Bewley loaded the bases. Jeison Guzman then smashed a grand slam to right field and the Legends jumped out to an early 4-0 lead.
The Power tied the game in the top of the third inning. J.R Davis was hit by a pitch then scored on an RBI triple smacked to right field by Joseph Rosa. Jose then scored on a wild pitch by Lexington's Yohanse Morel. Jake Anchia and Onil Pena then drew back-to-back walks to put runners at first and second base. A two-run double by Charlie McConnell scored both and the game was tied, 4-4.
In the top of the fourth inning, Nick Rodriguez hit a solo homer to left field and the Power led, 5-4.
The Legends tied the game in the bottom of the eighth inning. Rubendy Jaquez led off with a single to right field then the Legends loaded the bases as Cole and Rohlman both were walked. Jaquez then scored on a wild pitch and the game was tied, 5-5.
Lexington then went off to walk it off in the bottom of the tenth inning. Nate Eaton was placed at second base as the Pace of Play Runner. Chris Hudgins then lined a walk off single to left centerfield and the Legends won 6-5.
Daniel James was awarded the win tossing 1.0 perfect inning while striking out two. Ben Onyshko was given the loss, allowing the winning run to score in the bottom of the tenth inning.
The Legends have the day off tomorrow, but hit the road to travel to face the Hagerstown Suns before returning to Whitaker Bank Ballpark on Friday, July 12th at 7:05pm.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Chris Hudgins of the Lexington Legends
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 7, 2019
- Jackets Clobber Kannapolis in Series Finale 7-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Birds Falter Late to Suns - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Apostel and Gonzalez Homer in Victory over Columbia - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Take Finale in Comeback Fashion - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: Mason Martin Moves up to Bradenton - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Bill on Baseball: Sweep Makes Fireworks More Dazzling - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Gil Falters Late, RiverDogs Settle for Split in Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Walk It off in Extras over Power - Lexington Legends
- Four-Run Sixth Inning Leads Drive Past RiverDogs, 5-2 - Greenville Drive
- Power Erases Four-Run Deficit But Falls in Extras - West Virginia Power
- Rome Takes Finale 4-1 behind Mejia, Earning Series Split - Rome Braves
- Timely Braves Hitting Leaves Tourists on the Short Side - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 7 at Hickory (Game 84) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (July 7) - West Virginia Power
- Rasquin Ropes Three Hits, Fireflies Fall in Ninth - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Multi-Home Run Game Not Enough for Legends
- Legends Catch Crawdads and Come Back from 6-Run Deficit
- The Azimuth Was Alright as Jaquez's Jack Puts Legends on Top
- Lexington's Lights out Pitching Leads to Victory
- Legends Can't Plate Enough Krabby Patties in Doubleheader