Late RedHawks Rally Snaps Birds' Streak
The Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks snapped the Sioux Falls Canaries' five-game winning streak, scoring five runs after the sixth inning to win 6-4 on a Sunday afternoon at the Birdcage.
The game capped off a 5-2 homestand for the Canaries, all against teams in the playoff hunt in the North Division. It was the Birds' best homestand by record this year.
Sioux Falls jumped out to an early lead in the third when Patrick Fiala hit a two-run home run to left. It was Fiala's seventh homer of the year.
Luis Pollorena, making the start on a "bullpen day" for the Canaries, threw three shutout innings, allowing just two hits. He struck out three without walking a batter.
The RedHawks cut the lead in half in the fourth on a solo home run by Leobaldo Pina, his eighth of the year.
Dan Motl knocked a two-run single in the bottom of the fifth to extend the Birds' lead to 4-1. It was Motl's first RBIs since returning from the disabled list on Friday.
The RedHawks scored four runs in the seventh off of Canaries reliever John Straka. Catcher Quinn Irey capped off the frame with a two-run homer to give the RedHawks a 5-4 lead. It was Irey's first home run as a professional.
The RedHawks tacked on a run in the ninth on a Tim Colwell RBI single, making it 6-4.
Randy McCurry finished off the game in the ninth, earning his 15th save of the year.
The Canaries hit the road for St. Paul tomorrow to take on the Saints at 7 p.m. Birds fans can listen to the game on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 98.1 FM and AM 1230 KWSN or online at KWSN.com and the KWSN app.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 12, 2018
- T-Bones Rally Late in Sioux City - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Fall Back into First Place Tie with 9-5 Defeat to Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Sing Their Redemption Song, Claim Series Victory with 9-5 Win over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- AirHogs Head Home After Finale Loss at Haymarket Park - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Drop Series Finale to Goldeyes 2-1 - Chicago Dogs
- Big Innings Carry Saltdogs to Series Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Late RedHawks Rally Snaps Birds' Streak - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Beat Dogs in Close Pitching Duel - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Win Fourth Straight, Defeat Goldeyes 4-1 - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.