Dogs Win Fourth Straight, Defeat Goldeyes 4-1
Rosemont, Ill. - Sturdy pitching and a strong defense lifted the Dogs to their fourth consecutive victory Saturday night as Chicago defeated the Winnipeg Goldeyes 4-1 at Impact Field.
Four Chicago pitchers combined to allow just one earned run over nine innings, and the Dogs turned four double plays to back the staff for the first four-game winning streak in franchise history.
Chicago starter Scott Barnes pitched five shutout innings for the Dogs to earn his second victory of the season. The Dogs defense turned three double plays behind Barnes, including a strike out and caught stealing to end the first inning, and a ground ball double play off the bat of Josh Romanski to end the top of the fifth inning and cap the left-hander's night.
The Dogs pushed through on the scoreboard for the first time in the bottom of the fourth thanks to a two-out double from Tony Rosselli. The inning began with an error from Goldeyes third baseman Josh Mazzola that allowed Treysen Vavra to reach at first base. After a Stephen Perez walk, Rosselli drove a ball to left center field to put the Dogs in front 2-0.
Chicago tacked on a run of insurance in the bottom of the fifth inning thanks to a sacrifice fly from Vavra, and one more in the bottom of the eighth inning on a Perez RBI single.
The lone Winnipeg run of the game came on a Josh Mazzola solo home run in the top of the seventh inning.
Kaohi Downing worked a perfect eighth inning for the Dogs to pave the way for Taylor Grover to earn his tenth save of the year in a scoreless ninth frame.
With the win, the Dogs move to 33-45 on the season and pull to within one half game of Winnipeg for fourth place in the American Association's North division. Winnipeg falls to 34-45 on the year with the loss.
Chicago will look to sweep Winnipeg in the final regular season meeting of 2018 between the two teams Sunday at Impact Field. Trevor Simms will start for Chicago against Brennan Bernardino for Winnipeg.
First pitch on a Family Sunday from Impact Field is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. The game will be broadcast at www.thechicagodogs.com/broadcasts/ with the Crowne Plaza Pregame Show beginning at 12:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 12, 2018
- T-Bones Rally Late in Sioux City - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Fall Back into First Place Tie with 9-5 Defeat to Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Sing Their Redemption Song, Claim Series Victory with 9-5 Win over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- AirHogs Head Home After Finale Loss at Haymarket Park - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Drop Series Finale to Goldeyes 2-1 - Chicago Dogs
- Big Innings Carry Saltdogs to Series Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Late RedHawks Rally Snaps Birds' Streak - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Beat Dogs in Close Pitching Duel - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Win Fourth Straight, Defeat Goldeyes 4-1 - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Dogs and Saltdogs Suspended in Rosemont, Will Resume Sunday
- Wilson's Late Blast Lifts Dogs to Series Win over St. Paul
- Dogs to Host Gold Glove Charities Event Benefitting Children Fighting Cancer
- Torrez, Vavra Lead Chicago to 6-3 Win over St. Paul
- Dogs Spoil Strong Start from Simms, Lose 2-1