AirHogs Head Home After Finale Loss at Haymarket Park
LINCOLN, Neb. - American Association player of the year candidate Dillon Thomas notched his 13th home run, but the Texas AirHogs could not overcome an early 6-0 deficit Sunday at Haymarket Park, falling to the Saltdogs 10-3. The team travels back to Grand Prairie for an off day Monday and opens a fresh homestand vs. Cleburne and Lincoln beginning Tuesday.
Cody White (0-2) got the start Sunday and faced the minimum through two before allowing a leadoff home run to Dashenko Ricardo in the third. From there, the Saltdogs struck five more times in the long third, a frame interrupted and paused by both AirHogs left fielder Han Xiao and Ricardo exiting with injuries. Five of the six total runs in the third for Lincoln were scored with two outs. White would go on to post two scoreless innings following the Saltdogs surge.
The AirHogs rallied in the fourth and fifth, tallying three runs on RBIs by Jesse Baker and Han Jichao plus Thomas's opposite field solo blast. The runs came off Lincoln starter Austin Robuichaux (3-6), who allowed six hits and three runs (three earned) in securing the win.
The Saltdogs broke the game open in the sixth, striking again with two outs. This time it was Randolph Oduber delivering a two-out, bases-loaded double off of reliever Meng Xing to inflate the Lincoln lead to 9-3.
Chen Zhongyang turned in a scoreless frame of relief late for Texas. Correlle Prime and Greg Golson each recorded a hit and a run scored.
Curt Smith paced Lincoln with four hits and three RBIs. Oduber finished with four RBIs. T.J. Bennett finished with a home run and two RBIs. Jose Jose earned his 11th save of the season by facing the minimum over the game's final three innings.
Texas (20-59) will host Cleburne (26-52) to begin a six-game homestand starting Tuesday at 7:05. Starters for both teams are TBA. A live stream of the game will be available at mixlr.com/TXAirHogs and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
The Texas AirHogs - powered by Beijing Shougang Eagles will also host the Saltdogs on the homestand, which runs August 14-19. Tickets for all home games are available. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information. For the latest news, follow the team on Twitter and Facebook @TXAirHogs.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 12, 2018
- T-Bones Rally Late in Sioux City - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Fall Back into First Place Tie with 9-5 Defeat to Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Sing Their Redemption Song, Claim Series Victory with 9-5 Win over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- AirHogs Head Home After Finale Loss at Haymarket Park - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Drop Series Finale to Goldeyes 2-1 - Chicago Dogs
- Big Innings Carry Saltdogs to Series Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Late RedHawks Rally Snaps Birds' Streak - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Beat Dogs in Close Pitching Duel - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Win Fourth Straight, Defeat Goldeyes 4-1 - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.