Goldeyes Beat Dogs in Close Pitching Duel
ROSEMONT, IL - The Winnipeg Goldeyes held on for a 2-1 win over the Chicago Dogs at Impact Field on Sunday afternoon. With the win, the Fish won the season series against the Dogs 7-5.
In his first professional appearance as a starting pitcher, Brennan Bernardino pitched his way through six shutout innings. The former relief pitcher struck out five and threw only 66 pitches.
Josh Romanski also played a large role in the team win, driving in both runs for the Fish.
In the third, Tyler Baker hit a leadoff single. Jordan Ebert reached first on a sac bunt, charged as an error to Trey Vavra. With an RBI single to centrefield, Romanski drove in Baker to put the Fish on the board.
In the fifth, Ebert drew a walk from Dogs' starting pitcher Trevor Simms. A batter later, he stole to second. The Fish took a 2-0 lead when Romanski hit a two-out RBI single to right field.
In the seventh, a leadoff triple from Joe Benson put the Dogs in scoring position. Edwin Carl retired the two following batters, but allowed Benson to score on a wild pitch that trimmed the Goldeyes' lead 2-1.
Victor Capellan pitched a scoreless ninth to earn his 19th save of the year. Jack Charleston also pitched a scoreless inning in relief. Bernardino picked up the win. Simms took the loss, despite an solid performance. Simms allowed two runs over seven innings and struck out nine.
On Monday evening, the Fish begin a three-game series against the Gary SouthShore RailCats. Alex Boshers will start for the Goldeyes, taking the mound at 7:10 p.m.
The Fish arrive back at Shaw Park on August 17th, when they host the Sioux City Explorers for the first time this season.Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes or visiting the box office at Shaw Park.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 12, 2018
- T-Bones Rally Late in Sioux City - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Fall Back into First Place Tie with 9-5 Defeat to Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Sing Their Redemption Song, Claim Series Victory with 9-5 Win over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- AirHogs Head Home After Finale Loss at Haymarket Park - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Drop Series Finale to Goldeyes 2-1 - Chicago Dogs
- Big Innings Carry Saltdogs to Series Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Late RedHawks Rally Snaps Birds' Streak - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Beat Dogs in Close Pitching Duel - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Win Fourth Straight, Defeat Goldeyes 4-1 - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.