Dogs Drop Series Finale to Goldeyes 2-1
Rosemont, Ill. - Trevor Simms tossed seven strong innings, but the Dogs found themselves on the short end of a pitcher's duel for the second straight Sunday, as Chicago fell to Winnipeg 2-1 in the final regular-season meeting between the two teams Sunday at Impact Field.
Simms allowed just two runs on three hits over his seven innings of work, and struck out nine Goldeyes. The right-hander took the loss-his third of the season-in his fifth start of the year for Chicago.
Winnipeg received RBI singles from Josh Romanski in the third and fifth innings to give Goldeyes starter Brennan Bernardino all the run support he needed in his first professional start. Bernardino pitched six innings Sunday, allowing three hits, and striking out five to earn the win.
Chicago threatened against Bernardino in the bottom of the second inning. Joe Benson doubled to lead off the inning, and advanced to third on a Bernardino balk. However, Bernardino set down the next three Dogs batters to escape the frame unscathed.
Benson went 2-4 in the game with a double and a triple, and collected two of the six Chicago hits.
The Dogs finally pushed through against Winnipeg reliever Edwin Carl in the bottom of the seventh inning. Benson led the frame off with a triple, and scored on a Carl wild pitch. However, Chicago would not advance a runner past first base throughout the rest of the game, as Victor Capellan pitched a scoreless ninth inning for the Goldeyes to earn his 19th save of the year.
Chicago falls to 34-46 on the season with the loss, while Winnipeg moves to 34-45 on the year with the victory. Sunday's game was the final regular season meeting between the two North division foes in 2018. Winnipeg won the season series 7-5.
Chicago will now enjoy two consecutive off days before beginning a five-game road trip Wednesday night against the Sioux City Explorers.
Follow the team on social media at @TheChicagoDogs on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. For more information, visit TheChicagoDogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 12, 2018
- T-Bones Rally Late in Sioux City - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Fall Back into First Place Tie with 9-5 Defeat to Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Sing Their Redemption Song, Claim Series Victory with 9-5 Win over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- AirHogs Head Home After Finale Loss at Haymarket Park - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Drop Series Finale to Goldeyes 2-1 - Chicago Dogs
- Big Innings Carry Saltdogs to Series Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Late RedHawks Rally Snaps Birds' Streak - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Beat Dogs in Close Pitching Duel - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Win Fourth Straight, Defeat Goldeyes 4-1 - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Dogs and Saltdogs Suspended in Rosemont, Will Resume Sunday
- Wilson's Late Blast Lifts Dogs to Series Win over St. Paul
- Dogs to Host Gold Glove Charities Event Benefitting Children Fighting Cancer
- Torrez, Vavra Lead Chicago to 6-3 Win over St. Paul
- Dogs Spoil Strong Start from Simms, Lose 2-1