Late Home Run Lifts Power over Ducks
(Central Islip, N.Y.) - The Long Island Ducks were defeated by the West Virginia Power 5-2 on Thursday night in the finale of a three-game series at Fairfield Properties Ballpark.
The Ducks struck for the game's first run in the bottom of the first inning on back-to-back doubles by Steve Lombardozzi and L.J. Mazzilli off Power starter Elih Villanueva. West Virginia tied up the game at one in the fourth on a sacrifice fly to center field off the bat of Rymer Liriano.
Charlie Tilson put Long Island back in front 2-1 with an RBI single through the right side in the fifth inning. However, a solo home run to left field by Edwin Espinal in the sixth evened the score at two. It stayed that way until the eighth when a two-out, three-run homer to right by Liriano put the Power in front 5-2.
Neither starter factored into the decision. Brendan Feldmann pitched five and one-third innings for the Ducks, allowing one run on five hits and two walks with one strikeout. Villanueva lasted five innings, yielding two runs on five hits and two walks while striking out six. Pat Young (1-0) collected the win after striking out the side in a scoreless seventh inning, allowing one hit and one walk. Clint Freeman (0-1) took the loss, surrendering three runs on two hits and a walk in one inning of relief. Diego Moreno earned his second save of the season with two scoreless innings.
Johnni Turbo led the Flock offensively with two hits and two stolen bases.
The Ducks continue their homestand on Friday night when they open a three-game series against the Lancaster Barnstormers. Game time is slated for 6:35 p.m., with the Fairfield Properties Ballpark gates opening at 5:35 (5:20 for full season ticket holders). The first 750 fans in attendance will receive 2019 Atlantic League Championship Banners. It's also a Flash Sale Friday! Each Friday during the season, fans will have the opportunity to receive a special ticket offer to a select home game later in the season. This exclusive deal is available by phone only at (631) 940-TIXX. Right-hander Joe Iorio (2-0, 1.69) gets the start for the Ducks against Barnstormers righty Andro Cutura (3-1, 8.05).
Tickets to the game, and all Ducks home games, are available by calling (631) 940-TIXX or. Those unable to make the game can follow all the action on the Long Island Ducks Broadcast Network. Live streaming video and audio will be available via BoxCast on LIDucks.com as well as the Ducks official Facebook and YouTube accounts.
The Long Island Ducks are members of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball, a Professional Partner League of Major League Baseball, and play their home games at Fairfield Properties Ballpark. For further information, visit LIDucks.com or call (631) 940-DUCK (3825).
Images from this story
Johnni Turbo of the Long Island Ducks
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 17, 2021
- Legends Use Big Seventh to Power past Rockers 12-7 - High Point Rockers
- Southern Maryland Completes Series Sweep of Gastonia - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Late Home Run Lifts Power over Ducks - Long Island Ducks
- Jose Cuas' Contract Purchased by Royals - Long Island Ducks
- West Virginia Power Wants Your Opinion - West Virginia Power
- Revolution Adds to Community Ownership Group - York Revolution
- Allemand Slugs Barnstormers Over York - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Eighth Inning Homer Sends Revs to Second Straight Defeat - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Ducks Stories
- Daniel Fields Named Atlantic League Player of the Month for July
- Ducks Swipe Series Finale in Southern Maryland
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls Just Short as Blue Crabs Hang on to Beat Ducks
- Blue Crabs Hold Ducks Offense in Check
- 2021 Ducks Playoff Tickets on Sale August 5